• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 06:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 762
Total: 762

Great coffee Tuesday

Started by Mugwump, December 08, 2015, 05:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...MMMmmmm...good coffee  |^|  warmer this morn'n....38deg's...we might see 50?...they're saying possibly 60's in a few days....not really your December temps....I remember back in the 70's that we had almost a 70 deg day in January....3-4 days later it set a new record low of 28 below...without wind chill..
brrrr....I get leery of warm spells this time of year now....these warm ups bode really cold, or really snowy times....

..water changes and the usual putz'n on tap here for today....but I have a box going overnight down to Chicago that I'll get ready for pickup....PB's, Pinoy's, koi, and BN....the guys a very good artist, he's sending me some prints as a gift too.....

this is one of the ones that I picked out...it was a commissioned painting that he did for them...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Just remember that climate change is nothing more than a hoax  LOL  It's forecast to be in the 60's here by the weekend.  I figure it will be a typical winter, about 2 or 3 weeks of actual winter weather and the rest just cold and dreary.....

Out and about with IT work most of the day.  Just finishing off the first pot.....  I think I've got enough fixin's for another pot and then I'm out.  Need to swing by and pick up a few cans.....

Dennis

wsantia1

No coffee this morning. I have a 10 am doctor's appointment. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2015, 07:09:26 AM
No coffee this morning. I have a 10 am doctor's appointment. huh

...well pot #2 here, I'll have a couple for ya... |^|......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I recall a few times that we had warmth in late November and into December. We were riding our horses at a state park in December in the early 80's...temp was in the 50s. Then there was a December in '98 or '99 that was warm enough to keep some flowers in bloom near the back door. It was "El Ni?o" time.

Big water changes today. Last month I culled the undersized and non-robust "white fish" that were in the 90. Got tired of worrying about spreading something....and wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I cleaned the tank out and have moved hardscape from a healthy 75 into it. Now that the remaining big male non-copyrighted Dantum passed QT he and the wild crosses are doing quite well together in the new set up. It's even turned into a honeymoon suite...SI/RN female and Dantum spawned. No worries...I'm not breeding them. Plus the eggs were eaten.  8)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2015, 05:29:51 AM
...MMMmmmm...good coffee  |^|  warmer this morn'n....38deg's...we might see 50?...they're saying possibly 60's in a few days....not really your December temps....I remember back in the 70's that we had almost a 70 deg day in January....3-4 days later it set a new record low of 28 below...without wind chill..
brrrr....I get leery of warm spells this time of year now....these warm ups bode really cold, or really snowy times....

..water changes and the usual putz'n on tap here for today....but I have a box going overnight down to Chicago that I'll get ready for pickup....PB's, Pinoy's, koi, and BN....the guys a very good artist, he's sending me some prints as a gift too.....

this is one of the ones that I picked out...it was a commissioned painting that he did for them...

If anyone is interested?....here's Josh's home page......he's done some fantastic work....some in Detroit and other places...take a peak..

http://www.joshmoultonfineart.com/
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2015, 10:27:50 AM
Finally, "Coffee Time". |^| |^| |^|

|^|...how'd the Dr's thingy go.....I hope all is ok.. ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2015, 11:55:07 AM

No problems. Thanks. Just routine blood work stuff. Needed a new baseline on my cholesterol levels, etc. I will go back on Friday to review the results. I finished all of the bad stuff a couple of weeks ago and that was all clear.  mim mim mim
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2015, 12:01:54 PM

No problems. Thanks. Just routine blood work stuff. Needed a new baseline on my cholesterol levels, etc. I will go back on Friday to review the results. I finished all of the bad stuff a couple of weeks ago and that was all clear.  mim mim mim

Jan gets a cholesterol level review, periodically, when her med's are renewed too.....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on December 08, 2015, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on December 08, 2015, 12:01:54 PM

Jan gets a cholesterol level review, periodically, when her med's are renewed too.....

that's exactly what this is. The doctor took me off the cholesterol meds for a couple of weeks so he could re-test and see if he should reduce/increase the dosage. I doubt if there is an increase necessary.
Willie

GraphicGr8s

That's a nice piece of art Jon. Love that old time stuff.

Finally cooled off here a tad. Woke up (thank God) this am and it was in the high 50's low 60's. 70 something now though.

Dennis, every theory needs a point that can prove it false. What would prove GCC false? Far as I've seen if it cools it's GCC. If it warms it's GCC.

Seems to be the opposite of what that moron Einstein said.

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 08, 2015, 01:26:59 PM
That's a nice piece of art Jon. Love that old time stuff.

Finally cooled off here a tad. Woke up (thank God) this am and it was in the high 50's low 60's. 70 something now though.

Dennis, every theory needs a point that can prove it false. What would prove GCC false? Far as I've seen if it cools it's GCC. If it warms it's GCC.

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

This statement above is likely close....instead tho,  "say no single climate occurrence proves one or the other wrong".....
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 08, 2015, 01:26:59 PM

Just my own observations, nothing scientific.  When I was a kid, 50 years ago, we had snow that stuck around most of the winter.  It built up as it didn't get above freezing for it to melt.  We built forts and all kinds of things.  It would eventually get to the point where they would bring in front end loaders to clear the county roads because there wasn't anywhere for the plows to push the snow.

My kids never saw a winter like that.  Not even once.

From world reports, we are somewhat sheltered from the worst of it too.  BIG changes in China, Africa, ect.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteDennis, every theory needs a point that can prove it false. What would prove GCC false? Far as I've seen if it cools it's GCC. If it warms it's GCC.

GCC (Global Climate Change) has been tested many times.

What you are talking about are single data points (warm or cold days, in one place) which the data appropriate for testing of climate would large data sets representing many days or years of data (as in climate, not weather), across the whole globe (as in Global). This has been much discussed and often berated by those who do not like what it implies.

Another kind of data is that each year for several years, each year has set a new higher world temperature record. Chance would predict an equal number of new highs and new lows and not a new record each year.
This is a disproof of the null hypothesis (that things are not heating up), thus knocking a significant leg of support out from under denials of climate warming.

Yet another convincing kind of data WRT Global Climate Change is the displacement of plants and animals to higher altitudes (up mountains) or towards the poles (higher latitudes) from their formerly locations which have armed up too much for them. This has been seem a lot. This is also a knock at the null hypothesis, thereby making the hypothesis (global climate change) appear more likely.

Another is the thawing of permafrost, effects on building things on permafrost. This is something Exxon is very interested in (for financial reasons) even while they publicly deny climate change (for financial reasons). It is also why there are great methane blowouts from Siberia permafrost.

All these things support the idea of global climate change and if their data were going the other way it could be taken as a disproof of the idea.

You seem to be arguing against it, yet at other times you say you believe climate change is occurring but that it is not human caused. ????
Which is it?
Or are these arguments just rhetorical?