• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 760
Total: 760

Clothes dryer repair

Started by LizStreithorst, November 15, 2015, 03:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I decided to give it a try myself.  I found a tutorial on my exact dryer!  I took off the top but then started feeling like a sissy when I came to removing the drum.  I figure I could get it out OK but the fear of putting it back together came upon me.  It's either mouse nibbled wires or the heating element.  I suspect the meece but I can't examine the wires without getting the drum out.  I'll break down and call a repair man tomorrow.  Soon it will too cold for laundry to dry outside in one day.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 15, 2015, 03:58:30 PM
I decided to give it a try myself.  I found a tutorial on my exact dryer!  I took off the top but then started feeling like a sissy when I came to removing the drum.  I figure I could get it out OK but the fear of putting it back together came upon me.  It's either mouse nibbled wires or the heating element.  I suspect the meece but I can't examine the wires without getting the drum out.  I'll break down and call a repair man tomorrow.  Soon it will too cold for laundry to dry outside in one day.

I don't blame you..... ;D.....wondering tho, can you see anything from the bottom.???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Ah....You mean turning it on it's side and removing the bottom plate?  I never thought about that.  I just leaned it against the wall and took a look.  It will involve removing the control panel and the side panels but I can do that.  Just screws.  I could put it back together to.  I won't call the repair man tomorrow.  It would give me great joy to be able to fix it myself.  I've been told that dryers are easy and straight forward to fix but I've never tried repairing an appliance so I'm a little afraid of trying :-[

Rjb3

Just watch for sharp edges. Those back panels don't have finished edges. At least the ones I took apart didn't.

You could also snap a few pictures before you take it apart. I do that with shooting irons sometimes. Comes in handy when you ask yourself "Now which way did this go?".

LizStreithorst

Good idea, My Captain about taking pics to refresh my memory.  I know about the razor sharp edges.  I know that I should wear long sleeves and gloves.  I prefer to work without protecting my skin.  I can feel stuff better without gloves.  I will be careful and if I get cut the cut will heal.

BillT

Besides the heater element, I have had dryer problems in the past that were due to a bad thermostat.

LizStreithorst

If it's the thermostat or the heating element the repair will be too much for me to tale on.  I'll be satisfied if I can determine if it's mouse chewed wiring.  That I can fix.  If not I'll call the repair man. 

LizStreithorst

I finally got around to calling the repair man.  I've been lucky so far with the weather and have been able to dry clothes outside.  He let me watch him.  I love to watch people do what they are good at doing.  I could never have figured it out myself.  He used a volt meter.  I know nothing about electricity!  Turns out the problem  was with the switch in the motor.  It got power in but couldn't send it out.  He said that it was likely due to the meece peeing and pooping on it (he was polite, he called it "using the bathroom" lol)  It won't cost too much more to replace than have repaired.

I asked his advice on what brand to buy.  He said Amana.  They have the exact same parts as Maytag. because they are built by the same company.  They may not have as many features.  Big deal.  I con't care about features.  I get to buy myself another big gift tomorrow.  I am so spoiled :-[