• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 06:40:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 803
Total: 803

It's Sunday, good morn'n..

Started by Mugwump, May 01, 2016, 06:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...Coffee is wonderful this morn'n...MMMMmmm

..Weather's still blah tho.....a little putz'n here, then off to a Birthday bowling party for one of the G'sons.....

...I figure after we get back, we'll just chill for the day.... |^|.....watch a movie?..popcorn?.....look for something to cook for dinner... huh

..who knows ? ? ?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Morning Jon.  Feels like spring here.  Going up to 72?F this afternoon, but currently a crisp 60?F.  I've got so much that needs done, I don't know where to start.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Good morning all. Coffee is great but the weather is lousy. Steady rain right now that is supposed to last all day.  ::)

Had to skip the daily walk through the park so I will have a stir crazy Jack Russell on my hand today. Maybe he'll lend a paw while I do my WCs. huh

Today is probably the day I hit the kill switch on Window 10 on my main computer. I just have to recheck it and make sure I have all my data copied onto the usb drive.  :-\
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 07:18:24 AM
Good morning all. Coffee is great but the weather is lousy. Steady rain right now that is supposed to last all day.  ::)

Had to skip the daily walk through the park so I will have a stir crazy Jack Russell on my hand today. Maybe he'll lend a paw while I do my WCs. huh

Today is probably the day I hit the kill switch on Window 10 on my main computer. I just have to recheck it and make sure I have all my data copied onto the usb drive.  :-\

..please give us a run down as you progress..I know it'll be helpful to me to know what to expect, etc..... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Today is probably the day I hit the kill switch on Window 10 on my main computer.

Best of luck with your new adventure Willie.  There's a bit of a learning curve, but anything worth learning comes with that.   |^|

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2016, 07:24:34 AM
Today is probably the day I hit the kill switch on Window 10 on my main computer.

Best of luck with your new adventure Willie.  There's a bit of a learning curve, but anything worth learning comes with that.   |^|

Dennis

One question Dennis. I have 3 drives on this machine. I am assuming this change will only wipe out the C drive where the OS will reside?
Willie

BallAquatics

It will give you the option of what you want to do at set-up.  The more drives available and possible install locations makes the options a bit more complicated.

You might want to first run Ubuntu from the DVD to properly ID your drives before going into the set-up.  When it boots up, just pick "Try Ubuntu" and it will load the OS without changing anything on your system.  It's pretty slow running from the optical drive but it lets you have a good look around before changing anything.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2016, 07:38:58 AM
It will give you the option of what you want to do at set-up.  The more drives available and possible install locations makes the options a bit more complicated.

You might want to first run Ubuntu from the DVD to properly ID your drives before going into the set-up.  When it boots up, just pick "Try Ubuntu" and it will load the OS without changing anything on your system.  It's pretty slow running from the optical drive but it lets you have a good look around before changing anything.

Dennis

Thanks a lot Dennis. I have 2 SSDs, one for the operating system and one for games and a 1 TB drive that has mostly data (jpeg, pdf, docs, etc.). This is the computer I built and it was humming perfectly until W10. huh
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 07:56:14 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2016, 07:38:58 AM

Dennis

I'm playing around in Ubuntu off of the DVD now. lol I have to find my music library though.

Thanks a lot Dennis. I have 2 SSDs, one for the operating system and one for games and a 1 TB drive that has mostly data (jpeg, pdf, docs, etc.). This is the computer I built and it was humming perfectly until W10. huh
Willie

BallAquatics

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 09:20:56 AM
I'm playing around in Ubuntu off of the DVD now. lol I have to find my music library though.

Just a little different on a *nix system.  Unix / Linux doesn't use drive letters like DOS.  It seems a little strange after using the DOS system, but once it clicks it's soooo much easier

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2016, 10:31:42 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on May 01, 2016, 09:20:56 AM

Just a little different on a *nix system.  Unix / Linux doesn't use drive letters like DOS.  It seems a little strange after using the DOS system, but once it clicks it's soooo much easier

Dennis

The funny thing is that the videos that I "thought" were deleted by W10 are showing up in Linux. I can't play them because I don't have the plug-ins loaded but they are there.

Apparently when W10 deleted the video program I had on it, it lost the association with the file so it doesn't show it? huh

Now I need to find my music files so I can see how well the Ubuntu music player is. I don't have all of the Hi Fi stuff that you have so I have to rely on my computer. lol
Willie

Mugwump

....off for cake and giggles.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon