• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 12:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 613
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 543
Total: 543

Lowering PH experiment

Started by Mugwump, May 18, 2014, 05:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Good article.  I've used catappa leaves and alder cones in some of my tanks. The alder cones seem to be a favorite novel item for the cherry shrimp. I haven't done the math but it may take quite a few leaves to lower pH in a large tank with a higher TDS. I used these mainly to create a blackwater appearance in tank with the wild type angels.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've never tried the catappa leaves, but have used alder cones......alder cones are good for cory fry, it helps keep bacteria down too
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

My favorite article on the medicinal properties of such things is, "All the leaves are brown?" by Colin Dunlop over at http://www.seriouslyfish.com/all-the-leaves-are-brown/

I can attest to these things not have much effect on truly hard water.  I can put a bushel basket of leaves in my Ohio well water and it turns brown and murky but stays hard as hell with a high pH.  On the other hand, I can drop a handful of leaves into some rain water and quickly make battery acid.  LOL

Dennis