• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 01:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 756
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 744
Total: 744

Edward Snowden: No Regrets Two Years After First NSA Leaks

Started by BallAquatics, June 08, 2015, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

I consider myself to be strong and honorable but I don't think I'd have had the guts to do what he did.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I think of him as a modern hero.
Some people say some stuff he released had bad effects and was in effect treasonous, however, you have to consider the source of those statements and the facts used to support them.

Its just too bad that it took so long for people to realize what was going on.

I knew (as did many) when they passed the "patriot" bill that door was open for things like that and there was little in the way to stop it.
Then they put a guy in charge who had said a few years before that he wanted to collect all available info.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on June 08, 2015, 06:33:45 PM
I think of him as a modern hero.
Some people say some stuff he released had bad effects and was in effect treasonous, however, you have to consider the source of those statements and the facts used to support them.

Its just too bad that it took so long for people to realize what was going on.

I knew (as did many) when they passed the "patriot" bill that door was open for things like that and there was little in the way to stop it.
Then they put a guy in charge who had said a few years before that he wanted to collect all available info.

I admire his 'moxie' and the things that he exposed were obviously questionable practices...but I'll stop short of calling him a real patriot. A real patriot stands and fights for what he believes in, and doesn't run to the opposition for support and safety.  I'm sure he knows more than what he exposed, is he capable of holding these things in the arms of his new found Russian hosts? ..or is he at 'home' now. Speculative, yes.....but with support here on his side, why not return? With the eyes of America, and the world watching, I can't foresee him being mistreated. Wouldn't open proceedings allow him to tell the rest of his tale?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

If he came back now, they would throw him in jail and not let anyone see him.

If he said he was going to do lease these things before he left the country, they would throw him in jail and not let anyone see him.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on June 08, 2015, 09:02:13 PM

If he said he was going to do lease these things before he left the country, they would throw him in jail and not let anyone see him.

IMO you are absolutely correct.  The guy did what he believed to be the right thing despite the fact that the only country who will not deport him in is Russia.  Not the greatest  outcome for him nor for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on June 08, 2015, 09:02:13 PM

Yes, there's that possibility.....but he even broke his conditions for staying in Russia(Putin) by revealing more, and more information. The NSA data was one thing, but other on going operations were revealed putting lives in jeopardy.....the NSA data needed to be brought forward, yes....but he has shown no discretion with his exposing these other things.....I have a problem with that.....but we'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out, I guess? He's got himself in a predicament.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

QuoteHe's got himself in a predicament.

Well, that's for sure!

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

Good interview.  Thanks, Dennis.  Sometimes I regret no longer having a TV.

Mugwump

Good flick, Dennis...like I said, I agree about what we know was revealed, but I'm also concerned that what we don't know what may, or may not, have been uncovered and revealed, and to whom it may have been revealed ...... there's more to all of this than I think we're being made aware of presently...
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on June 09, 2015, 05:05:00 PM
...... there's more to all of this than I think we're being made aware of presently...

Agreed.  They know much more, or at least they are making public, much more in Europe than is on the news here.....

https://youtu.be/9CqVYUOjHLw

Just another example of why we are universally hated around the world.  Just seems like yesterday Obama was talking about transparency.

Dennis

Mugwump

LOL...the Europeans are guilty of it too......pot calling the kettle black.....they all know too...it's only when someone gets caught that they feign being offended, and surprised....LOL

Obama??....surely you jest?....this has been going on for long before you or I were even born...Reagan escalated it a bit around the fall of 'the wall'....Bush Sr. was CIA, and used it too...think middle east.....Roosevelt, Eisenhower, JFK, LBJ, Nixon....J Edgar....this is nothing new....just out in the open now...the public just accepted it, now the can't....
Jon

LizStreithorst

The Europeans don't have the resources that the US has.  Yes everyone has been spying forever, but not on the general public.  This is different.  Big Brother is watching me. I agree with Hypponen we should be pissed because this is rude.  It should not be allowed.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2015, 06:33:38 PM
The Europeans don't have the resources that the US has.  Yes everyone has been spying forever, but not on the general public.  This is different.  Big Brother is watching me. I agree with Hypponen we should be pissed because this is rude.  It should not be allowed.

The Europeans don't spy on the public....???

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2015/05/26/europe-catching-up-to-us-in-spying-on-the-public.html

and Germany/Britain have been doing it for years too, Liz. They all spy on the public and each other too.

Jon