• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 08:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 520
Total: 520

Thinking about quitting smoking

Started by LizStreithorst, September 11, 2014, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

These days you do neither, right?  What did you replace the destructive habits with, love of life?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:51:50 AM
These days you do neither, right?  What did you replace the destructive habits with, love of life?

I still smoke....it's my last vice....but not a drink in over 26 yrs now.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

lol, and here I was thinking that you were perfect.  Nice to hear otherwise ;D  I'd like to be perfect but I think that the smoking does me me more harm than the drinking, so I'll take it on first.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 11:13:43 AM
I know that I can do it.  I just don't know if I want to do it.

I know you can too Liz!!!  Finally WANTING TO was the key for me.  It's hard enough to kick the habit, but right near impossible when you're not committed.

Dennis

ilroost

LOL, i remember the old beer can pipe days

GraphicGr8s

I was a 3 pack a dayer when I quit. Went in and got a thing called kick the habit. 21 days of filters. I was smoking Marlboro lights and used the system. Last day I smoked a pack of Red without the filter. That was 20 something years ago. Haven't lit up since. I think of all the tax money I have deprived the government of and feel saddened by it. Every so often it almost makes me want to start again.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

Habits may be supported by triggers that psychologically evoke the urge to do whatever it is. They may remind the unconscious mind of the rewards or promote the desire for it.

Therefore, it can, in some cases, be helpful to identify the triggers and change things so that the triggers are eliminated or avoided in some way.
Of course this may not always be possible or easy. There may also be more than one trigger.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 21, 2014, 07:47:58 PM
Habits may be supported by triggers that psychologically evoke the urge to do whatever it is. They may remind the unconscious mind of the rewards or promote the desire for it.

Therefore, it can, in some cases, be helpful to identify the triggers and change things so that the triggers are eliminated or avoided in some way.
Of course this may not always be possible or easy. There may also be more than one trigger.

....put the key in the ignition, light one up..........pour the cup of coffee, light one up....sit on the throne, fire one up.....and it goes on and on..... ;D.....pop a can of.......,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm suffering today, but I'll make it through. 

ilroost

Good luck Liz, you can do it !
Now if only i could. Here lately i have been smoking the vapor pens. Got a liquid called Black and blue. It is black cherry and blue raspberry.
I love it

Barb

Be strong Liz, you can do it!  Replace that nasty nicotine with extra good foods!
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on September 28, 2014, 01:35:15 PM
Be strong Liz, you can do it!  Replace that nasty nicotine with extra good foods!
Barb

LOL...yep, you could use a few pounds, huh?....LOL....."listen to the force, Liz"..be strong like bull ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

My weight is fine as it is.  I get a large percentage of my calories from beer and I'm not about to change that. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 28, 2014, 01:47:32 PM
My weight is fine as it is.  I get a large percentage of my calories from beer and I'm not about to change that.

Hear ! Hear !....now that's a truly fine attitude....... ;D  stick to your guns Liz....LOL
Jon

wsantia1

Good luck Liz. ;D  You can do this.  I finally quit on the doctors orders after I had throat surgery. It's been 2.5 years for me. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.