• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:57:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 815
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 771
Total: 771

Monday...really?

Started by Mugwump, March 05, 2018, 08:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..as the forecast rains become forecasts snow now......the day appears a bit gloomy.... wfwf

...but I do need to run a couple errands..with luck I may beat most the stuff .... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Sorry.  It's still nice here but rain is coming.

I'm rather proud of myself.  I went into Ellisville because the larder was bare but I also wanted to talk to Chip.  I didn't mention yesterday the disappointment I experienced when I pulled the cord on the mower, it went vroom and then quit.  Later it wasn't just that...gas started dripping out from where the air filter lives.  I took off the carburetor bowl and it had what looked like grease on the bottom of it.  That didn't seem right so I wiped out the grease and put the bowl back on, but It didn't fix the problem.  I told Chip about what was going on and he told me that the float valve was stuck and to pull the carburetor off, bring it to him and he would fix it. 

I'd never done that before but I figured out how to do it.  It only took a 10 mm wrench, pliers, needle nose pliers, and a lot of thought because it was my first time.  I ran the carb into Chip and watched him take it apart.  He cleaned it with something called brake cleaner which made all the gunk fall off.  Since I watched him I think I can do the same thing myself if this ever happens again.

Putting it back together was another challenge.  There are lots of parts with gaskets and springs and if everything isn't right the engine won't do right.  I could tell when I finally got everything put back together and cranked the mower that I wasn't getting the rpm's that I should.  I had left a thing off.  I took it apart again and put the thing back.  Something still wasn't right. Somehow a spring had changed it's orientation so that took a 3rd taking apart and putting back together before I achieved success.

I know that I didn't exactly do it myself but I did enough of it myself and watch what I didn't do to know that if it happens again I can do it totally by myself.  Makes me feel like I'm not a helpless old woman.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 05, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
Sorry.  It's still nice here but rain is coming.

I'm rather proud of myself.  I went into Ellisville because the larder was bare but I also wanted to talk to Chip.  I didn't mention yesterday the disappointment I experienced when I pulled the cord on the mower, it went vroom and then quit.  Later it wasn't just that...gas started dripping out from where the air filter lives.  I took off the carburetor bowl and it had what looked like grease on the bottom of it.  That didn't seem right so I wiped out the grease and put the bowl back on, but It didn't fix the problem.  I told Chip about what was going on and he told me that the float valve was stuck and to pull the carburetor off, bring it to him and he would fix it. 

I'd never done that before but I figured out how to do it.  It only took a 10 mm wrench, pliers, needle nose pliers, and a lot of thought because it was my first time.  I ran the carb into Chip and watched him take it apart.  He cleaned it with something called brake cleaner which made all the gunk fall off.  Since I watched him I think I can do the same thing myself if this ever happens again.

Putting it back together was another challenge.  There are lots of parts with gaskets and springs and if everything isn't right the engine won't do right.  I could tell when I finally got everything put back together and cranked the mower that I wasn't getting the rpm's that I should.  I had left a thing off.  I took it apart again and put the thing back.  Something still wasn't right. Somehow a spring had changed it's orientation so that took a 3rd taking apart and putting back together before I achieved success.

I know that I didn't exactly do it myself but I did enough of it myself and watch what I didn't do to know that if it happens again I can do it totally by myself.  Makes me feel like I'm not a helpless old woman.

..if there's a college or HS offering a 'small engine' class...you'd have fun with it...heck, classes are free for seniors...some even off grants
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

We have the Junior college.  I'll find out out if they offer that.  I'd enjoy it and learn valuable stuff at the same time.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 05, 2018, 02:58:52 PM
We have the Junior college.  I'll find out out if they offer that.  I'd enjoy it and learn valuable stuff at the same time.

|^|....Jan talked about taking it in the fall.... huh
Jon

wsantia1

Just came in from my last daily extended walk with Kobe. It is absolutely beautiful out (comparatively) with temps in the 50s and a medium breeze. With the clear skies I was able to see Venus and Mercury setting side by side in the west. It was a beauty.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..it's been ominous looking all day high gusrty winds and falling temps.......a bit ago we got our "Tom Skilling' phone notice of heavy precip warning....

..so far...sleet/rain..sleet..rain...snow/sleet...to finally snow now.... huh...and still the high wind gusts.....it's crazy out there  wfwf wfwf wfwf wfwf wfwf
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 05, 2018, 06:16:12 PM
..it's been ominous looking all day high gusrty winds and falling temps.......a bit ago we got our "Tom Skilling' phone notice of heavy precip warning....

..so far...sleet/rain..sleet..rain...snow/sleet...to finally snow now.... huh...and still the high wind gusts.....it's crazy out there  wfwf wfwf wfwf wfwf wfwf

It's coming this way. huh wfwf wfwf wfwf
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 05, 2018, 06:26:46 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 05, 2018, 06:16:12 PM

It's coming this way. huh wfwf wfwf wfwf

..it's slow mover, so stock up you stash and frozen pizzas...... |^|
Jon