• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 10:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 588
Total: 588

Started by Mugwump, August 13, 2017, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

The lines on this map show all of the world's Internet connections in 1969
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

It wasn't called the internet in 1969, it was the Arpanet. DARPA, if you know who they are, had a big hand in its development.  They wanted a fast way to transfer military info and orders.  Lots of work went into developing the protocols that make it work.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on August 13, 2017, 09:57:22 AM
It wasn't called the internet in 1969, it was the Arpanet. DARPA, if you know who they are, had a big hand in its development.  They wanted a fast way to transfer military info and orders.  Lots of work went into developing the protocols that make it work.

My Dad visited Hughes Aircraft in the early 60's, in I think it was Culver City, Ca. He spent about a week, or so, getting the lay of the land, etc. He would come home and share stories about big rooms full of equipment. I remember him saying that the future would hold things that we couldn't even imagine possible.

"The Hughes Aircraft Company was a major American aerospace and defense ... first working laser, aircraft computer systems, missile systems, ion-propulsion engines .... 1960: The first laser was produced at Hughes Research Laboratories, ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Aircraft_Company
Jon