• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 10:38:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 559
Total: 559

"Alexa"

Started by Mugwump, March 10, 2017, 01:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Woops... we have a Samsung Smart TV.

But we breathed a sigh of relief when we realized that its not connected to the internet. I don't think it is... I mean it says its not!

Dan

BallAquatics

Obviously people don't care, or they wouldn't sell so much of this stuff  LOL  Just look at all the folks with a "smart" phone with GPS....  Big Brother knows where you are 24 hours a day. 

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/alexa-and-google-record-your-voice/

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 10, 2017, 02:28:25 PM
Obviously people don't care, or they wouldn't sell so much of this stuff  LOL  Just look at all the folks with a "smart" phone with GPS....  Big Brother knows where you are 24 hours a day. 

Dennis

Big Brother will just have to know.  Without GPS I'd get lost driving around the block.
Always move forward. Never look back.

waterboy

Hey if the CIA can hack them, the local computer geek can do it too.  Just takes longer.  Would you ever buy a driverless car knowing that the teenager across the street can hack into it and drive you into that big elm tree if he wants? 
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 10, 2017, 02:28:25 PM

Dennis

...turn your GPS off til you need it.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll see if I can figure out how.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 10, 2017, 04:55:02 PM
I'll see if I can figure out how.

when you turn your phone on....take your finger and slide it down from the top of the screen.....you should see some options....gps, wifi, etc....blip it off..
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2017, 04:52:57 PM

Yep, then the cellular network provider can determine where the phone is to within a hundred feet or so using ?triangulation? because at any one time, the phone is usually able to communicate with more than one of the aerial arrays provided by the phone network. The cell towers are typically 6 to 12 miles apart (less in cities) and a phone is usually within range of at least three of them. By comparing the signal strength and time lag for the phone?s carrier signal to reach at each tower, the network provider can triangulate the phone?s approximate position.

I really can't understand why folks get in a big dither about this stuff, but continue to run out and buy the "latest & greatest"!!!  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 10, 2017, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 10, 2017, 04:52:57 PM

Yep, then the cellular network provider can determine where the phone is to within a hundred feet or so using ?triangulation? because at any one time, the phone is usually able to communicate with more than one of the aerial arrays provided by the phone network. The cell towers are typically 6 to 12 miles apart (less in cities) and a phone is usually within range of at least three of them. By comparing the signal strength and time lag for the phone?s carrier signal to reach at each tower, the network provider can triangulate the phone?s approximate position.

I really can't understand why folks get in a big dither about this stuff, but continue to run out and buy the "latest & greatest"!!!  LOL

Dennis

yup..they can always find you if they need to...but why make it easy..... huh
Jon