• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 11:30:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,345
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 772
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 758
Total: 759

New RO Unit Arrived!!!

Started by LizStreithorst, July 16, 2015, 02:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I bought a cheapo last year and didn't even get my $99. worth.  I had to change prefilters monthly and finally the membrane gave out.  It was a piece of junk.  This time I ordered from this place.  It was recommended by a guy I know from NADA.  http://www.spectrapure.com/  I got the 90 GPD refurbished one.  It's a lovely unit.  They say that the prefilters (which are 1mm prefilters btw) only need changing every 6 months.  It comes with a pressure meter that tells you when the particle filter needs changing and tells you how to tell when the others need changing.  I am impressed.

I liked using rain water but it won't rain.  Although my water is very cheap, I still hate wasting the stuff, but I won't have to waste much because my kH is low enough that I can use a tap/RO waste mix for adults and grow outs.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...good find, Liz......I hope it holds up better than the other unit.....it looks like it will...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I learned a lesson today.  I hate to waste water even though my water bill NEVER runs over $40. a month and I change between 250 and 350 gallons daily.  (I know large daily changes are only necessary for Discus, but I love to do it.  As my nemesis said on another forum, it gives an old lady something to do ::))

What I've been doing with this unit is running it almost 24/7.  I fill the RO container that I only need for breeding and add enough reject water to get the TDS to under 50.  Then, I add both product and reject to my huge containers.  It was great!  I didn't have to add dechlorinator, and since the water came in a small stream and splashed the surface there was less change in pH even without added aeration.

What I found out today is that ALL my pre-filters  had become exhausted in 9 days time >:(  The sediment filters are cheap, the carbon filters cost more, the DI filters cost $25. each!  I won't do this every 9 days any more.  From now on I will use the unit only to fill my 50 gallon RO container.  I'll buy more tubing and run the waste to the wild froggy pond.  Then, I hope, my pre-filters will last 6 months as they say.

Mugwump

Yes, it can get costly to 24/7 those puppies......ever thought of a couple $18 blue canisters inline used as a pre-pre filter?....get em at Menards/Lowe's, etc....

I use em when filling my tub.....prefilter/carbon.....works like a dream.....it would take the load off your R/O unit's much more costly filters....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I think I'll just go back to using pure aged tap and adding sodium thiosultate to dechlorinatate.   

BallAquatics

That's the reason I worked out a way to use rain water.  Each time I've talked with the RO people, based on my well water, it would cost me a fortune to generate enough RO for my needs.

It did take me a while to work out how much storage I needed, but stock tanks are cheap compared to filters and RO membranes.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

It refuses to rain here >:(  I got one good 15 minute downpour yesterday but one 15 minute downpour isn't enough to put an inch of water in my rain water containers. 

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2015, 03:02:20 PM
It refuses to rain here >:(  I got one good 15 minute downpour yesterday but one 15 minute downpour isn't enough to put an inch of water in my rain water containers.

Yep, you need a bigger catchment area to get much water.  When you build your carport maybe you could use that area?  If the roof was 25x25 = 625 sq ft x 1 inch of rain fall divided by 0.623 conversion factor would collect 389.375 gallons of water for every inch of rain.  Of course you need the storage capacity to hold that much water.  That's why when we have a big storm coming through, I do water changes before and during the storm if I can, because I just can't catch all the water if I don't.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I could have them put gutters on the back of my house and collect water from that.  It would be closer to the fish room. Everything I want takes money but will save money in the long run.  I have 2 150 water storage containers stored at my shop (you would be quite envious of them)..  It wouldn't be hard to plumb them together. 

I'd prefer to get the outside water to the fish room other than taking the sump pump out to them and pumping it in.  I'd have to make a slanting concrete slab to to raise the WS containers above the level of the gravity fed pump inside the fish room to be able to just turn a valve and fill my inside containers. 

I have never done concrete and am afraid of trying it.  But I can figure out what is needed and tell my carpenter what I want.  He can do it.  He is every bit at doing what he does for a living as I am.   I just need to save a bit more money.  $200 more bucks and I can call him to do the carport.  While he's here with his guys I will ask for an estimate on gutters feeding into the WS containers.  I will need an inline  sediment filter too, but I can figure that out.  I don't think I will need a carbon filter, right?

BallAquatics

I don't run my rain water through a carbon filter, just an inexpensive Omni 5 Micron String Wound Sediment filter that I get at TSC.  They run 5 or 6 dollars for a twin pack and can be washed several times before they need replacing.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Dennis.  I will remember that. 

GeorgeG

Sounds to soon Liz. I have 2 Carbon and 1 sediment in my unit. I never change the sediment until my 6 months are up. I have clear canisters so I can see how dirty they get. My Carbons are changed at the same time. If I were you I would disconnect the carbons just before the membrane and test to see if there is chlorine in the water. If there isn't they are still good. Toss the DI that stuff is for the folks with saltwater tanks. My TDS is still 15ppm after running a year just changing the Sediment and carbon filters twice this year. I just changed them this weekend now that it is starting to cool down. Only in the 90's this week.

LizStreithorst

Thanks so much for that info George.  I never could figure out what that DI was for and the DI filters are expensive!  I'll replace it with another carbon filter.  My first RO unit, years ago, came from Randal B.  Remember him?  He has gone away now.  The one I got from him worked great and didn't call for a stupid DI.

GeorgeG

The DI resin is to remove the last remaining dissolved solids in the water. Saltwater folks like the TDS at 0 because their salt returns the good stuff back into the water. The last stuff coming out of the membrane contains stuff that makes bad algae grow in their tanks which is not good.