• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 630
Total: 630

Tumeric

Started by Ron Sower, February 27, 2016, 01:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

A little over a week ago a friend was telling me she took a capsule of tumeric each night for helping with her back pain.  I have just constantly been more and more achy as time goes by. Especially in the morning when I get up for 1-2 hours and later in the day. I started, and have been taking it for about a week now and I've been feeling so much better.  I don't hurt nearly as much as I was.

Lucy and I have now begun to cut sugar and starches out of our diets also. For the first 3 days I was dying for sweets and it killed me to pass the Hershey Kiss canister and keep on going. I still want them but can deal with it better.  Tried almond milk the first time....really tasty! Tried standard Greek yogurt... NOT really tasty.  We're putting it in smoothies.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on February 27, 2016, 01:16:33 AM
A little over a week ago a friend was telling me she took a capsule of tumeric each night for helping with her back pain.  I have just constantly been more and more achy as time goes by. Especially in the morning when I get up for 1-2 hours and later in the day. I started, and have been taking it for about a week now and I've been feeling so much better.  I don't hurt nearly as much as I was.

Lucy and I have now begun to cut sugar and starches out of our diets also. For the first 3 days I was dying for sweets and it killed me to pass the Hershey Kiss canister and keep on going. I still want them but can deal with it better.  Tried almond milk the first time....really tasty! Tried standard Greek yogurt... NOT really tasty.  We're putting it in smoothies.

Herbs

Herbs are generally available as standardized, dried extracts (pills, capsules, or tablets), teas, or tinctures/liquid extracts (alcohol extraction, unless otherwise noted). Mix liquid extracts with favorite beverage. Dose for teas is 1 - 2 heaping teaspoonfuls/cup water steeped for 10 - 15 minutes (roots need longer).

Turmeric (Curcuma longa) standardized extract, 300 mg three times a day, for pain and inflammation. Turmeric is sometimes combined with bromelain because it makes the effects of bromelain stronger. Turmeric can increase the risk of bleeding, especially for people who take blood-thinning medication. Ask your doctor before taking turmeric.
    Devil's claw (Harpagophytum procumbens) standardized extract, 100 - 200 mg one to two times daily. Devil?s claw has been used traditionally to relieve pain. One study found that more than 50% of people with osteoarthritis of the knee or hip or low back pain who took devil?s claw reported less pain and better mobility after 8 weeks. Devil?s claw may increase the risk of bleeding and interact with diabetes medications, so tell your health care provider before taking it if you also take blood-thinning medication or if you have diabetes. Devil's claw can affect the heart and may not be right for people with certain heart problems. It can also potentially be problematic for people with gallstones.
    Willow bark (Salix alba) standardized extract, 500 mg up to three times daily, to relieve pain. Willow acts similar to aspirin. Do not take white willow if you are also taking aspirin or blood-thinning medications. Check with your health care provider if you are allergic to aspirin or salicylates before taking white willow. Do not give Willow should to children under the age of 18.
    Capsaicin (Capsicum frutescens) cream, applied to the skin (topically). Capsaicin is the main component in hot chili peppers (also known as cayenne). Applied to the skin, it is believed to temporarily reduce amounts of ?substance P,? a chemical that contributes to inflammation and pain. One found a topical capsaicin cream relieved pain better than placebo in 320 people with low back pain. Pain reduction generally starts 3 - 7 days after applying the capsaicin cream to the skin.

..a very good article about the subject..

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/low-back-pain
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

A good read, Mugs. Thank you. |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Heck, if it works, go for it.  Be sure you tell your doc.  Some herbals don't get along well with some prescription meds.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

I will, Liz.  Thanks for the reminder.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Tumaric is a spice so its probably what you think it is.
However a lot of herbals (an uncontrolled and largely unregulated thing) can contain either the wrong stuff, or other compounds such as prescription drugs. Therefore, I think would use herbals with caution.