• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 11:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 727
Total: 728

Question about pulling the spawn.

Started by LizStreithorst, January 20, 2014, 11:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

When I've done this I have relocated the pair and left the eggs in the tank.  It's worked for me.  I thought it was the normal way to do.  But I've read elsewhere about raising the fry in jars.  I don't get it.  Why is a smaller water volume better than a larger water volume?  The smallest tank I breed in is a 20 high.  The largest right now is a 40.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 20, 2014, 11:38:43 AM
When I've done this I have relocated the pair and left the eggs in the tank.  It's worked for me.  I thought it was the normal way to do.  But I've read elsewhere about raising the fry in jars.  I don't get it.  Why is a smaller water volume better than a larger water volume?  The smallest tank I breed in is a 20 high.  The largest right now is a 40.

Some folks prefer the gallon jars, but my preference is a 2 1/2 gal tank. With a smaller vessel, you can perform a larger volume of water change using less water..ie...20 gal with 50% change = 10 gal's...with a 2 1/2 it's only a little over a gallon. Hatching in a smaller vessel, the fry are kept in closer proximity to foods introduced. Cleaning and maintaining is easier too, plus the parents aren't moved and can go on their merry way.  ;D
  I'm not a fan of the 'hatching' jars either, but some folks have great success...same with the external breeding boxes. I have a gallon external box that's nice for popping cory or BN fry into, in a pinch...but usually go with my old standby....the 2 1/2.....plus it's hard to get your hands inside a gallon jar to do anything..LOL...with the 2 1/2...easy peasy to do what you need..slates fit in there nicely too.. ;D
   It's all what you're comfortable with, I guess...???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

For now, if I raise without parents I'll do it my way.  WC is easy for me and my water is cheap.  I over feed BBS but with a large water volume all I ever need to do is vacuum the bottom and keep the sponges well squeezed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I like the tetra 5.5 gallon tanks.  Like Jon said, gives you a bit of room to work, but keeps the fry in a confined space.  Also, I can buy the 5.5 gallons tanks much cheaper than the smaller 2.5 gallon ones.

Dennis