• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 02:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 566
Total: 566

Would like your opinions.

Started by Barb, February 25, 2015, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

So, last week I gave my 125 gal tank. plus 5 smaller ones, to our LFS.  I told the owner, who knows me well, to use it in his shop for a snake, turtles, alligator, fish, rabbits, etc.  and enjoy it.  He agreed.  Today I went in to see how he was using it, and there it was with a Sold sign on it, and a price tag of $135.  I feel quite irritated.  Should I be, or just forget it all?  He is the one I gave all my Koi to.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on February 25, 2015, 04:40:40 PM
So, last week I gave my 125 gal tank. plus 5 smaller ones, to our LFS.  I told the owner, who knows me well, to use it in his shop for a snake, turtles, alligator, fish, rabbits, etc.  and enjoy it.  He agreed.  Today I went in to see how he was using it, and there it was with a Sold sign on it, and a price tag of $135.  I feel quite irritated.  Should I be, or just forget it all?  He is the one I gave all my Koi to.
Barb

Myself, I'd ask him why?....either he misunderstood your generosities intention. or was after a few bucks....???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on February 25, 2015, 05:05:55 PM
Quote from: Barb on February 25, 2015, 04:40:40 PM
Barb

Myself, I'd ask him why?....either he misunderstood your generosities intention. or was after a few bucks....???

I'd be pissed off. >:(
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

JR

Thats not good. I would have to have a talk with him
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

EdKaz

Walk back into the place and say sumthin like ..................Oh great, I see you sold that tank of mine. When is the buyer going to pick it up so I can get MY money for the tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on February 25, 2015, 07:26:43 PM
Walk back into the place and say sumthin like ..................Oh great, I see you sold that tank of mine. When is the buyer going to pick it up so I can get MY money for the tank.

+1...........
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Quote from: EdKaz on February 25, 2015, 07:26:43 PM

+2

LizStreithorst

If you think that he may have interpreted what you said as "do as you choose with the tank" you have to let it go.

If you think that he didn't misinterpret what you said you'll have to confront him.  It won't be fun.  You'll have to say something like. "I gave you this tank for your use in the shop.  If I'd know you were going to sell it I'd have sold it myself.  I think you owe me (however much you'd have asked for it)"  Or you can just keep fuming over it for however long it takes you to get over it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks he did me wrong.  I will talk to him and let you know what he says.  I may just stick with Pet Smart who is right across the street from his LFS.  And online orders of course.  Thanks guys and Liz.  I will be doing as your 2nd paragraph suggested.
Barb

Barb

I won't be fuming, I have given too much stuff away or thrown it out recently, this is just one more thing.  But he will hear from me about it.
Barb

LizStreithorst

And if he doesn't do right by you park in front of his shop and give him a wave as you walk across the street to PetSmart from now on.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I would have too find out why he sold it, Maybe he misunderstood. Best of luck with it.
Scott

BallAquatics

That's pretty under handed that he turned right around and sold the tank, but I wouldn't spend too much time getting upset about it.  Life's too short, and like you said you wanted rid of it anyway.....  If that the way he conducts all of his business, he won't be around long.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Yikes! Apparently he wasn't concerned about the possibility of your seeing him selling the tank you gave him. I've had similar experiences with individuals.....

You could ask him if he thought that you took it in under consignment. That would give him a "graceful" way of explaining  what's going on......even a chance to offer you part of what he got for it. But overall I have to agree with Dennis. You gave him the tank to help him out and by selling it he's realizing income that will help with store overhead.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Barb, that's a tough one. I give lots of stuff away through the year. If it's to the LFS I usually ask for at least a token store credit with them, but sometimes not. If it's to individuals, I ask that they pass it forward, and/or trade with me sometime when they see a post that I'm looking for something and they might have extra. And usually it comes back in the positive to me, sometimes in ways I never expected. BUT, once I give something to someone else, it's theirs.

In my opinion, if it helps your LFS stay in business you've done a good thing.  They have a hard enough time anyway making it, especially if they are next to or across from a big box store.

I would let it go and be happy for him. But if I needed a favor that he could help me with, I wouldn't think twice about asking him for it. If he balks, one reminder of the things you've done for him might be enough. If not, that's when I'd quietly thank him and walk out and never return or promote him among my sphere of influence.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron