• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 12:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 756
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 750
Total: 750

Political threads

Started by Mugwump, November 24, 2016, 07:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we allow them?

Yes
No

Mugwump

...it has been suggested that some of us would rather see these threads/subjects done away permanently....so how about a vote on it.... huh

....so the vote is for...do we do away with these type threads?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I for one vote to do away with them as it seems too many people can't argue politics without getting nasty.  If everyone could express their views in a calm and reasonable manner it would be OK, but things get out of hand too quickly.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 25, 2016, 11:46:14 AM
I for one vote to do away with them as it seems too many people can't argue politics without getting nasty.  If everyone could express their views in a calm and reasonable manner it would be OK, but things get out of hand too quickly.

I know what you mean......we tried a dedicated thread, however it seemed that folks would peek anyway...and then get offended... huh...

We have a local coffee shop where a bunch of the older crowd gather for coffee and gab....no subject is left unargued...folks come and go all the time, when in the mood they'll join in....when not, they dine, wave 'hi' and go about their days business....those offended just shrug and shake their heads...wave 'hi' and go on with their day too.....but on the internet...no such tolerance.....

A crazy world we live in today..... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Does this mean that we have only 7 active members?  I hope not,
Always move forward. Never look back.

Rjb3

So far, the voter turnout has been low . . . . . .

Mugwump

..many folks just don't care....they look, shrug and move on....others don't even log in, just look(lurk) and don't post.... huh huh
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 26, 2016, 05:32:57 AM
..many folks just don't care....

I guess that's the camp I'm in when it comes to on-line political discussion, and I use the term very loosely as at time it seems there can be no sensible on-line discussion.  In a way, that's really a shame too.  When I was on the village council, it was always my opinion that we did our best work after some thoughtful disagreement.

I have several very good friends that I think very highly of.  We have different views on many things.  I don't think less of them simply because they don't think the same as me.  In fact, I have found that some times I have been enlightened by their views.

That said, there are some folks here on Mugwump's that could have a thoughtful political discussion, and there are also some that could not.  We even have a those that would rather stick their heads in the sand and wish it would all just go away.  That's probably our best course.  It should all just go away.

I can also see a problem with just what is political in nature.  I didn't start the "Poor Bill" post with anything political in mind.  I simply thought it was humorous.  So what's the definition of political going to be here on Mugwump's?  Nothing to do with sitting politicians, no political 'hot topics', (ie climate change, legalized pot, etc).  If we are going to do away with it, we need a clear definition of what 'it' is.   2c2

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 26, 2016, 06:49:49 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 26, 2016, 05:32:57 AM
..many folks just don't care....

I guess that's the camp I'm in when it comes to on-line political discussion, and I use the term very loosely as at time it seems there can be no sensible on-line discussion.  In a way, that's really a shame too.  When I was on the village council, it was always my opinion that we did our best work after some thoughtful disagreement.

I have several very good friends that I think very highly of.  We have different views on many things.  I don't think less of them simply because they don't think the same as me.  In fact, I have found that some times I have been enlightened by their views.

That said, there are some folks here on Mugwump's that could have a thoughtful political discussion, and there are also some that could not.  We even have a those that would rather stick their heads in the sand and wish it would all just go away.  That's probably our best course.  It should all just go away.

I can also see a problem with just what is political in nature.  I didn't start the "Poor Bill" post with anything political in mind.  I simply thought it was humorous.  So what's the definition of political going to be here on Mugwump's?  Nothing to do with sitting politicians, no political 'hot topics', (ie climate change, legalized pot, etc).  If we are going to do away with it, we need a clear definition of what 'it' is.   2c2

Dennis

...Yes, 'it' will need to be defined....and who will do that effectively?...there are folks that just don't want to see anything against the grain...so to speak...

I'm usually very open minded, but myself...I'd have a problem with censorship...or picking sides on issues of someone being offended by an opposing view point...it's just the way the world is....not everyone is going to be on the same wave length...nor see eye to eye.....
Jon

wsantia1

I agree that there are some folks that can get carried away with their political passions. For me on forums if I don't care for the subject of discussion I simply ignore it. This forum does give us the option to ignore certain users.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.