• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 06:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 767
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 746
Total: 747

Weekend plans?

Started by Mugwump, November 18, 2016, 06:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 19, 2016, 09:42:56 PM
We didn't go to the Native Am. Arts Festival...it was really windy today so we went to Tucson for the first time...One objective was to go to the Arizona Nature Aquatics fish stoore.  I want to start looking for my first aquarium to set up....Got there and it wasn't open...so I called and learned that they have moved there and won't be opening again until Dec10...bummer!  :(

So we looked up a couple places that Lucy wanted to see and one was the Habitat for Humanity store there...so we did that and found a Kokopelli lamp that we'll use on our deck... I think she wants to rig it with a solar light.... ;)

Then we had a good lunch at Caruso's Italian eatery near the University of AZ. |^|

Ah Tuscan. I was stationed about 60 miles from there in 1971. A nice little place called Fort Huachuca. It is in Sierra Vista. We drove up to Tuscan quite a bit because that was the only place that was close to go to (besides Mexico) for a break from the military stuff.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

waterboy

I remember Fort Huachuca and Sierra Vista. I worked for a gov't contractor and had a project going there in the 70s.  Visited several times. Got to Mexico and Tombstone with the OK corral and boot hill.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

Quote from: waterboy on November 20, 2016, 09:15:22 AM
I remember Fort Huachuca and Sierra Vista. I worked for a gov't contractor and had a project going there in the 70s.  Visited several times. Got to Mexico and Tombstone with the OK corral and boot hill.

I've been to Tombstone plenty of times. Went drinking quite a few times at the Crystal Palace Saloon, lol It's still there after all of this time. I think they still do the re-enactment of the Gunfight at OK Corral.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 20, 2016, 09:51:16 AM
Quote from: waterboy on November 20, 2016, 09:15:22 AM

I've been to Tombstone plenty of times. Went drinking quite a few times at the Crystal Palace Saloon, lol It's still there after all of this time. I think they still do the re-enactment of the Gunfight at OK Corral.

Mine was a spur-of-the-moment trip...we do plan to go to Tombstone...grew up with it on the TV westerns when I was a kid... |^|...might even hit your famous Crystal Palace Saloon!... |^| mim |^| mim
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I remember which tank I'm working on now.  In 2001 I drove to Glass Cages in the Beast and bought 3 100's and 3 60 wides.  This was back when I thought I could do everything without help.  I eased the tanks out of the Beast and put them on a tarp and dragged them to the house.  I had 3 steps to go up to get on the deck and in the front door.  I made it with 2 of the tanks by putting one corner on the steps and lifting the other corner up, kind of walking them up one corner at a time.  I got the third tank's corner on to the second step and it slipped off and a side panel cracked. 

Luckily, a Discus friend was driving down from Philadelphia for a Big Discus friends party I was throwing.  She was stopping at Glass Cages herself and asked if there was anything I needed.  She picked up the side panel I needed so I wasn't forced to pay glass store prices.  I broke that tank down to all it's separate parts and rebuilt it from the ground up.  Until then I had never even resealed a tank, let alone rebuild one.  I used the frame as a jig to keep everything straight and square. 

Since then the tank has moved from here to Alabama and back where it sat dry for many months before it was set up again.  It got taken down and put back up when Mr. Sharp rebuilt the stands.  Until last week it was holding water.  I don't think that's a bad record for an old tank that was rebuilt by a total amateur. 

I'm quite sure I know where it was leaking.  It was along the bottom of the front panel.  I saw water seeping up through the frame in a 3" area.  I am just replacing that one seem.  I have it scraped clean of silicone and acetoned.  Now to silicone it and wait 24 hrs, then refill it and keep my fingers crossed that it holds water. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Good luck. Last year I picked up a 90g tank from a craigslist. I don't think it ever had water in it. Lizards or something. Big leak, but it looked to be in one spot, so I only re-silicone an 8 inch stretch of the seam. So far, so good...
Dan

LizStreithorst

I replaced the entire seam, but you know I'll be kicking myself if I fill it tomorrow afternoon and find the next morning that it is still leaking.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 20, 2016, 04:13:25 PM
...  but you know I'll be kicking myself if I fill it tomorrow afternoon and find the next morning that it is still leaking.

That's me!  I usually do the whole tank... if I take it down and get it ready for a reseal, it's easier to just do it all and be done with it.   2c2

Dennis