• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 08:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 737
Total: 737

Discus Drama

Started by PaulineMi, October 15, 2014, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Was watching the discus. They appeared to be planning a strategy in the area of the filter uptake tube.  Nothing got finalized yet but here's what was going on:

Love is in the air:

Drove off the little guy

Getting rid of another competitor

I'm not leaving

I'm really not leaving

Gonna have to start over
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Great looking Discus and great photos Pauline. ;D ;D ;D Those colors make me want to jump into Discus with both feet. ;D ;D ;D

Maybe when I move into my new house in the spring. 8) ;D First I have to do a ton of research. ::) ;D ;D ;D What size tank is that again?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

Thanks Willie.

These guys are in a 75 gallon tank. There are seven of them.  The advice from discus folks is 10 gallons per discus and a six discus minimum due to that cichlid attitude. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on October 15, 2014, 12:54:37 PM
Thanks Willie.

These guys are in a 75 gallon tank. There are seven of them.  The advice from discus folks is 10 gallons per discus and a six discus minimum due to that cichlid attitude.

Thanks Pauline.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Great pics, as always, Pauline.....keep us posted on the results of the happenings.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

What beautiful discus you have Pauline, and well cared for too.  I can tell.
Barb

PaulineMi

Thank you Jon and Barb. 

One thing I've noticed with discus.  They make a lot more physical contact with each other than any other species of fish I've owned. I'm not referring to aggressive biting....more of brushing up against each other and even along my hands during tank cleaning.   I wonder if it's due to the manner in which they feed their fry off their bodies?

Mugwump

I've noticed that too with discus.....unless spawning, they mingle closely.....protective??...group bonding??....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

New_b0401

Beautiful Pauline! They look wonderful and very happy  ;D

LizStreithorst

I don't know why they are that way either, but they sure are.  They like the feel of their friends against their bodies.  Have you ever see one discus display in front of a friend and allow it to clean it's body?  I've seen it.  The two fish would do it most every day.  It reminded me of dog friends where one dog gives love nibbles to it's friend.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Thank you New.  :)

Liz...yes, the dog love nibbles. I had dogs that did that. And I witnessed what you're describing twice so far with these discus. They're interesting fish.

EdKaz

Those sure are some purty fish.

PaulineMi

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day