• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 04:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 845
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 841
Total: 841

Fish room costs, energy, water, foods....

Started by Mugwump, July 11, 2014, 06:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Energy costs, electric, is normally one of the biggest ongoing expenses that we face in our hobby. Water bills can be elevated, but not to a pocket busting point. What steps does everyone take to increase tank efficiency, and save $$$'s. What other fish room tricks help to keep things in check?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

While I won't save on water, I have started reducing the number of HOB filters and replacing them with sponge filters. I'm still running one HOB on tanks that have sponges but I run two on tanks that don't have sponges.

The HOBs that I am using are the Aquaclears which have media that I can use over and over as long as I clean them regularly. 8)

I am also using a lot of LED lights.  The LEDs stink for plants but they are good for my wallet and make the fish look good. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on July 11, 2014, 07:24:16 AM
While I won't save on water, I have started reducing the number of HOB filters and replacing them with sponge filters. I'm still running one HOB on tanks that have sponges but I run two on tanks that don't have sponges.

The HOBs that I am using are the Aquaclears which have media that I can use over and over as long as I clean them regularly. 8)

I am also using a lot of LED lights.  The LEDs stink for plants but they are good for my wallet and make the fish look good. ;D ;D ;D

I'm using a few more LED lights too, but the anubias seem to love it....Java fern doesn't care tho...LOL....
My fish room temp is pretty stable all year round, so I've reduced the heater wattage and added another heater to the larger tanks. They don't come on often and because of the extra heater used to 'zone' the tanks. they don't run as long....
HOB's are a necessity in any really large tank IMHO....but 5's/10's/20's/30's not so much with a good running sponge(s)....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on July 11, 2014, 07:56:36 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on July 11, 2014, 07:24:16 AM

I'm using a few more LED lights too, but the anubias seem to love it....Java fern doesn't care tho...LOL....
My fish room temp is pretty stable all year round, so I've reduced the heater wattage and added another heater to the larger tanks. They don't come on often and because of the extra heater used to 'zone' the tanks. they don't run as long....
HOB's are a necessity in any really large tank IMHO....but 5's/10's/20's/30's not so much with a good running sponge(s)....

I agree with the heaters as I have been setting my heaters at a lower temp so they don't come on as often.  The fish seem to like it just fine. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

I run alot of sponge filters and most my lights are led. My bigest cost would be heaters. Unfortunately l dont have a easy solution for heating my fish room. I do have two heaters in the big tank and the discus tank. I wasn't thinking of energy savings when I put them in the discus tank. I know I could heat that tank with one 150 watt heater. I'm just trying to get heat distributed equally in there tank. The big tank I have two 300 watt heaters. The one thing I have seen with the big tank is the water temp doesn't seem to fluctuate. The central air pump helps save energy too. It's also nice to have a air supply when I need it. I do run the hot mags alot but not on the same tank all the time. I move them around to share the love.  I do have two fluval 405 running on the big tank. I was thinking of finding a big canister filter to run. But it would have to work as good or better then the two fluvals. As far as food I get most of my food from Captain Bob. He's got the best prices for fish food. I also have a good supply of worms. There a great renewable food supply. 
Scott

PaulineMi

I just got a nice air pump from Jehmco and am using it for some sponge filters and aging water. There are no longer several small air pumps in use. Less wattage for the one Jehmco air pump than was required with the several small pumps.

I've tested my well water several times while it's aging and found I can get the pH stabilized in a matter of about five hours.  That allows for a shorter time to get the heat and air turned off and do the water changes.

All of my fish room tanks and the water barrel are wrapped in insulation.  I learned the hard way to pay attention to electricity usage in the winter when I got the discus last year! 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

...and let us not forget the lids, folks......lids are a major energy saver.....less evaporation and heat retention.....
Jon

PaulineMi

Yes...lids on all tanks.  My little 10 gallon shrimp/CPD tank even has a custom made (by me  ;D) insulation piece that I put over the LED light to hold in some warmth in the winter.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

Like many others I have a lot of LEDs in tanks (as well as compact fluorescents for general room lighting) and lids on most tanks.

I have a mix of different systems. Mutli-tank systems require pumps since air lifts (which are much more efficient) are not that useful for lifting water up a few feet (an air lift can raise water something like 1/4 of the depth from which the air starts its lifting). Other than that I have no pumps going (other that my central air blower).

My major energy use is probably involved in heat and humidity control which varies with season. The garage is very well insulated and vapor sealed.

In the winter, the tanks (heaters) heat the fish rooms (in the garage) which works OK, but ends up making a lot of humidity which condenses on surfaces which is not good and can result in fungus (unhealthy). For a while I would run my attic fan (for a few hours a day, controlled by a timer) which does a good job of removing the humidity, but results in the tank heater running more often. For the last couple of years or so I have been using a dehumidifier and was able to drastically cut down on the hours the fan was on (I am guessing this was a gain).

In the summer, I ran the attic fan which removes a lot of heat from the roof before it gets down to the fish rooms. Recently I have turned on an AC I did not have to use last year to get the temp down from the high 80's. I am guessing that this is because many of the neighbor's large trees that fell or were taken down this years (due to cold weather and storms breaking them) has resulted in the garage getting a lot hotter.

Mugwump

I believe that Aron has a pic/vid somewhere showing using a simple exhaust fan an low/med speed, and window mounted, that reduces his fish room humidity ....perhaps he'll chime in ?????
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't do much.  It costs what it costs.  Thank God my water's cheap as dirt.  I do my best to keep the fish room around 80 degrees so the heaters only have to raise the temp 2 degrees.  In the winter I use a dehumidifier to heat the room.  I have an very energy efficient heater for when the temp drops to the teens.  During the summer months I depend on a fan and an open door at night and also during the day unless it's brutally hot.  I have a small AC in the fish room that I use only when I have to.  The house and fish room are both very well insulated. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I can see that Liz....you're in a good climate for a fish room. ....cheap water is to die for, too    ;D
Jon

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on July 12, 2014, 06:05:09 PM
I believe that Aron has a pic/vid somewhere showing using a simple exhaust fan an low/med speed, and window mounted, that reduces his fish room humidity ....perhaps he'll chime in ??? ??

What I did was Picked up one of these blowers fans

Used an dryer venting hose on the output side and have it vented out the window side..... I made a isolated section to use it in the winter time. 
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

..and what about foods? I buy bulk whenever I need foods, but still it can add up quickly...
Jon