• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 07:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 508
Total: 508

DANTUM PAIR SPLIT

Started by ghonk, December 12, 2015, 08:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

My dantum pair was doing some cleaning,since my knee is screwed up it would be hard to set up a tank for the spawn,and care for the fry once they hatch.

So i decided to split the pair,i put the best of five offspring into the females tank,she started  laying not long after that.With the new one ignoring her.
No lose since the pair  would have eaten them anyway if i didn't pull the eggs.

I put the male in with the 4 other offspring,he started courting the largest one in the tank,and chasing the others.So i ASSUME it's a female.
I guess he got tired of it not responding like he wanted and had it on the run later too,but wasn't going at it like the others.

Hopefully the one i added to the females tank turns out to be a male,and maybe i will get lucky with the male pairing.

It would be great to be able to sex a couple of the offspring,and use them in the future,if i can find the fish i need for those crosses.

Mugwump

...yes, it'd be nice to have the extra pair(s)....plus a cross back to secure the line....

How'd ya hurt your leg??....that sucks..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

The female is still fanning the eggs,poor thing. :)
But isn't attacking the other one,what do you think Jon, if it is a female would she likely be trying to kill it,they are in a 29.

Things are pretty boring with just the one pair,and the other 5 that up until now haven't done anything.
I hope the male doesn't start beating the crap one of the  others in the 55,i would have to try setting up another tank which would suck.I think i'm  going to throw some plastic plants in there,it least he won't have a head on shot at them.

My knee has been screwed up for over a month,likely gout which i'm bothered with a few times a year.
It normally only last for a few days,2 weeks max.But this time it's not going away.

I guess i'm going to have to go to the DR this coming up week,if i can get an appointment.
I haven't been able to much of anything,2 batches of eggs i couldn't  pull,and pitched a nice size   batch of fry because i couldn't care for them.

And i finally got my new air pump last week,a alita 15.But haven't been able to connect it and run the new lines.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on December 12, 2015, 09:02:13 PM
The female is still fanning the eggs,poor thing. :)
But isn't attacking the other one,what do you think Jon, if it is a female would she likely be trying to kill it,they are in a 29.

..hard to tell, her instincts are strong tho, she obviously the more mature angel in the tank.....it seems the male wasn't as ready to go as she was..?
The next go around will tell the story...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

No cleaning by the female yet,today makes 16 days since the last spawn.She laid  17 days before that so hopefully it won't be much longer.

If it's a pair and he fertilizes them i'm going to grow out some from that batch,probably 12-18 hoping to get some with increased spotting,like the best one i have now or better.

It sucks that it takes so long to for the color to FULLY  develop,similar to breeding for glitter.
So you don't know what you will be getting till they start maturing.

ghonk

Confirmed another male,the new one i paired with the female,i didn't actually see them spawn but just before that judging by the tube it must  be a male.
Since he's also fanning the eggs i doubt she would have chased him away and not let him fertilize them.

Now what do you think she did,laid them of the glass again like a dumb ass,right next to the slate.
I really wanted this spawn,only positive that might come out of it is he can get some practice.

The female is the one that always eats the eggs,picking off the bad ones,along WITH some off the others until they are all gone,i don't see her doing it any different this time.

The new male has more spotting then his 4 siblings that i currently have,and also more then the original pair.
Hopefully i will get some standouts from the new pair when i grow some out from them.   

Mugwump

Good luck with them ...grow em big and strong like bull... ;D
Jon

ghonk

The new male,along with some new stock i'm likely  getting next week will at least give me some more options.
After searching for almost 2 years i think i finally found some fish to cross to the dantums,pre breeders so i don't have to grow them out,and best i can tell no hidden genes to pass on.

ghonk

I just walked pass the tank and called the female a dumb ass,and was shocked when she replied that i was the dumb ass thinking she would lay them on the slate again so i could steal them.Bitch 

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on January 01, 2016, 09:28:03 PM
I just walked pass the tank and called the female a dumb ass,and was shocked when she replied that i was the dumb ass thinking she would lay them on the slate again so i could steal them.Bitch

...LOL    wfwf
Jon

ghonk

She ate the eggs,but that was expected.I'm going to add another slate or maybe try a piece of pvc,likely with more options she will lay them on the filter intake next time. :)

Still no action with the original male and his offspring,just some head shaking and a little sparring.

Once i get a couple successful spawns from the new pair i   might add some of the others one by one to her tank,at least i might be able to confirm them that way rather then waiting and getting no results.

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on January 02, 2016, 05:12:53 AM
Quote from: ghonk on January 01, 2016, 09:28:03 PM

...LOL    wfwf

+1 and ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

Fry are starting to free swim,not a great hatch rate but not horrible either.

Noticed recently that the offspring male has a couple red spots on his dorsal,and also some pinkish ones.
None of the other 6 have that,they are all either pastel yellow that fade to white,or all white.
Hope to let lucky and find that in some of the ones i grow out.