• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 06:59:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

My Dantum Angels

Started by PaulineMi, March 14, 2014, 07:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I have a female!!!   ;D ;D ;D  She's laying eggs on the back wall (!) of the tank right now.  She has a buddy hanging out with her but I'm not seeing any male/female spawning activity.  They're young first timers....we'll see how things go  the next time or so as I'd like to raise some of these guys.   ;D ;D

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 14, 2014, 07:57:17 PM
I have a female!!!   ;D ;D ;D  She's laying eggs on the back wall (!) of the tank right now.  She has a buddy hanging out with her but I'm not seeing any male/female spawning activity.  They're young first timers....we'll see how things go  the next time or so as I'd like to raise some of these guys.   ;D ;D

Dang....that's great, Pauline.....sweeeeeeet news ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If she has a buddy you have a pair.  The male is just slower to mature.   I love the look of those fish. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

That's great news,also good to know they are spawning at a young age,unlike some other wild crosses.
Hey Jon,maybe Pauline has all of the females. 

b125killer

That's awesome Pauline. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on March 15, 2014, 02:01:08 AM
That's great news,also good to know they are spawning at a young age,unlike some other wild crosses.
Hey Jon,maybe Pauline has all of the females.

Wouldn't that be something?... ;D....LOL...males are here, I have a mature HE female in with them, no interest yet....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

That's great new Pauline. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I've checked on the Dantums a couple of times this morning. There's a blue nightlight over the spot in the tank where the eggs are. The rest of the room is in total darkness until the timers turn lights on. This makes it hard to see but I'm pretty sure I saw a pair tending to the eggs. They were in the shadows though. I stayed back because they get spooked easily.

I did venture up to the tank for a quick peek.  I'd guess there are about 50 eggs, four of which are white. It's surprising that they made it overnight but I'm not expecting that to last. There are three plecos in that tank ... a pair of clown plecos and a pushy rubber lipped pleco. There are also four dwarf loaches, six Pentazona barbs and a group of (maniac  ;D) danios from Bill in with the Dantums.

It sure won't be easy trying to pull the pair though.  The all look soooo alike.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 15, 2014, 08:43:33 AM
I've checked on the Dantums a couple of times this morning. There's a blue nightlight over the spot in the tank where the eggs are. The rest of the room is in total darkness until the timers turn lights on. This makes it hard to see but I'm pretty sure I saw a pair tending to the eggs. They were in the shadows though. I stayed back because they get spooked easily.

I did venture up to the tank for a quick peek.  I'd guess there are about 50 eggs, four of which are white. It's surprising that they made it overnight but I'm not expecting that to last. There are three plecos in that tank ... a pair of clown plecos and a pushy rubber lipped pleco. There are also four dwarf loaches, six Pentazona barbs and a group of (maniac  ;D) danios from Bill in with the Dantums.

It sure won't be easy trying to pull the pair though.  The all look soooo alike.

.....you'll have to net em when they have the others at bay.....an extra 'watcher' helps here too...good luck :D
Jon

PaulineMi

Well I'll get another tank up soon for a pair.  The eggs are now nonexistent....

What tank size would work best...a regular 20 or a 29?  The last time I raised a spawn it was a simple matter of snipping an egg covered anubius leaf and putting it in a five gallon tank. I'm glad I have an RO unit now. I may put slate over the area where they spawned to see if they'll use it next time.

Too bad Jon, Greg and I live so far apart. I'd certainly share if more females are in this group.

Mugwump

Either the 20 or 29/30 will work fine......20H's are better.....Petco sale $20... ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

I got a 20 high at the last Petco sale.  ;D   Also grabbed a 10.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 15, 2014, 03:39:58 PM

Poyfect..... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 15, 2014, 03:39:58 PM

You are clearly a girl after my own heart Pauline!   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

PaulineMi

Got them in spite of the nay-sayers.  Lol   ;)