• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 12:31:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 531
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

Northwest Aquarium Swap Meet went great

Started by Ron Sower, February 22, 2016, 04:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Swap was great! I sold over half my excess and gave some of it away. Got a few bucks back to go into my ''Custom Tank Fund''!

I had some people work a registration table to get names, contact info, where they saw the announcement and if this was their first NW Aquarium Swap meet. Tables sold out. Several people had to cancel but at last minute they were replaced with late comers! I was so busy I didn't get time to take one photo of the event. No snafus, and all seemed to have a good time.

Seems like the average number of attendees is about 80. And over half were first-timers. Some tables were first timers too. Several, like Aron, have dropped out of the hobby...I miss him....he always had great angels.  But I did establish some new relationships that I hope to enjoy as time goes on. I wish there were more people bringing fish to sell...and different species. Mostly angels and plecos...one young couple had axolotls. Maybe what I should do next time is have you guys ship me some fish and what I don't sell I'll take to one of my friendly LFSs...!! No one ever has cool danios here.

As we were leaving I was asking tables would they do it again, and those I got to talk to said yes. I asked when and seems like 3 months is a good time. I do want to be careful and not conflict with the club's major fund raising auction, so it would be after that. You see, this is not club related other than members of the club come to the swap and some get tables.

I picked up 3-female/1-male group of peacock gudgeons.  I've been wanting some for a couple years and one fellow with whom I trade plants gave me some because it was his turn to supply plants to me and I don't have room for any more ATM. Looks like they're settling in fine in the 8 gallon I have set up and cycled for a month with the HMF.  They chowed down on some Grindal Worms after being in there an hour...!

I also got a culture of banana worms that I traded Grindals for.  Heck, I don't know what I'm going to do with them. Maybe I'll start cultures for the monthly club auction.  I'm going to pick up a set of cultures from a guy south of here and share them out with the club members that want them. He said he's had these cultures going since the 50's of 60's. That' a long time!!!

Goodnight now.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...it sounds like you had a great time... |^|..

Why won't your club chip in and make it an event?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

When I was on the board and started this and suggested it, it never was picked up to run with. We have auctions after each monthly meetings and one all day major auction and a full meeting auction. I assumed they figure they bring in enough money with these. I'm happy they don't pick up with it now. It's a South Sound thing so far, and the club seems to do most of their stuff in the Seattle area which is a little far for some of my attendees attend.

Also, when I was gently pushing them to take this on and I would coordinate it, I was promoting it as an event where people could do a lot of kibitzing about fish and stuff. We didn't have much of an opportunity to do that at the meetings. They always run tight, so not much social time. So what they did was open up a ''social hour'' before the meeting starts now!!!   I guess I did get something accomplished!

I'm happy with what I'm doing and where I think I'm heading with this.  If someone else were to come along and start the same thing around my geography, I'd probably just let them do it. I got enough other things to keep me busy....!!!! :P
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron