• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

Brine shrimp hatchery set up..

Started by Mugwump, October 20, 2012, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What is everybody using to hatch bbs?....currently, I'm using the 2 ltr bottle rig setup...works pretty well...I use an old 10gal tank, with a small heater, and plop it in there...add water/sea salt and air....boomba....18hrs or so....bbs
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Same as you if I remember right.....  :P
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

For real small batches, I still use a 14oz Starbucks capaccino bottle...fill to almost the neck, add 1 tbsp sea salt, eggs and use an air stone to keep the 'froth' down a bit....this works for 1/4 tsp and less......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 20, 2012, 07:05:42 PM
I'm a micro worm kinda guy.

I like the microworm family too...but nothing quite gets healthy angel fry growing like bbs, imho...after a week or so, I do feed the microworms, in addition.....just for variety..plus we make our cultures with baby oatmeal, choked full of vitamins....
Jon

Rjb3

I was just being kind of a wise guy. You do make hatching bbs look easy with your setup.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on October 20, 2012, 07:19:00 PM
I was just being kind of a wise guy. You do make hatching bbs look easy with your setup.

hehe...I know...and thanks, it works for me....keeping the bbs hatchery very clean is something that must be adhered to.....bacteria build up will wipe out that spawn that you wanted....big time...
Jon

JR

Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

b125killer

Has anyone tried to grow the bbs to adulthood?
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

Rjb3

With all those hungry mouths to feed.  Not a chance, right?

Mugwump

Yep, The bbs hatchery isn't bad to do....the microworms pretty much do their thing..but raising adult BS.....naw......
Jon

Mugwump

On the microworms, we experimented with adding Nutra-rose ( ASTAXANTHIN ) to the mixture....it turns it a redish/orange color....to see if Koi fry would color up better/sooner/fuller....Koi genetics determine the overall/density of color possible.... melanin/pigment are enhanced and nurtured with natural food ingredients....thus/and....
   Pigments are characterized by their colors. Carotenoid pigments are red and orange. Xanthophylls are yellow. Melanin pigments are black and brown. Phycocyanin is the blue pigment derived from blue-green algae. Cells containing yellow pigments overlying those containing blue pigments can produce green hues. Fish are capable of producing some pigments, but others must be supplied in the diet. Black and brown pigments are produced in cells called melanocytes. Fish are incapable of producing carotenoid and xanthophyll pigments. Therefore, these must be supplied in the diet.
   Color enhancing diets may contain additional natural pigments to enhance colors of ornamental fishes. The carotenoid pigment found in most marine and a few freshwater invertebrates is astaxanthin. This pigment gives the characteristic color to the flesh of salmon and is available in the diet of aquarium fish in shrimp and krill meals and salmon (fish) meal used as sources of protein in some feeds. Pure astaxanthin or canthaxanthin (synthetic astaxanthin) may also be added to fish feed to enhance red and orange coloration.  Xanthophylls (yellow pigments) are found in corn gluten meal and dried egg that may be added to the diet to enhance yellows. The ground petals of marigold flowers have also been used as a source of xanthophylls. The blue-green algae spirulina is a rich source of phycocyanin and may be added to a diet to enhance blue coloration. The expense of supplementary pigments often limits the amount used in tropical fish feeds. These natural sources of pigments are in contrast to several methods routinely used to enhance colors of ornamental fish.

Jon

Rjb3

I add spirulina, kelp, and powdered Chia seeds to all my small worm cultures. It provides all essential amino acids, all kinds of minerals, and huge amounts of Omega 3,6 and 9 fatty acids to the worms. They then provide these essential nutrients to the fry.

First, I experimented with Cod liver oil to provide Omega 3,6,and 9 fatty acids to the worm cultures. Duh! The sides of the container were to slippery for the worms to climb. Chia seeds have huge amounts of Omegas in them and actually keep the cultures more firm. The life of the cultures doubled after adding Chia.

Mugwump

"The life of the cultures doubled after adding Chia."
really?...where do you get chia seeds???...rob the chia pet boxes??....I'd like to try that if it increases the culture life...
Jon