• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 08:21:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

L'l red worms

Started by Mugwump, May 27, 2013, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

At first you should mix them i a little.  Once you start your second culture, just toss your breeders along with their compost on top of the food you give the second culture.

Would pics of the way I do it help?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Sure pics are always helpful for us visual learners lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

Mugwump

Yeppers..pics would be helpful here too....how do you moisten yours, Liz...??..with a spray bottle?..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll take some pics this afternoon.  I just pour in water.  Sometimes I get them a little soggy, but their worms.  They can handle it.

GeorgeG

Summer is here and I give my worms the water melon and Cantaloupe rinds and any other vegetable left over we have.

LizStreithorst

What could be more boring that taking pics of how I do worms?  I'm off to to it now. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 30, 2013, 05:18:08 PM
What could be more boring that taking pics of how I do worms?  I'm off to to it now.

LOL......put on some tunes, maybe that will liven it up a bit?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

This is all y'all get for now.  I have two working cultures going. I'm working through the large container and tossing the tiny ones, and the breeders, along with their compost into the smaller container.  You can see the horse poop sticking out under my last two additions of breeders and tiny ones.  I have an empty container tucked away.  It's the grey one.  I could tuck all of them away, but I work them several times a week. they are heavy, and it's just easier for me to leave them out.

I'll post pics of how I work them in the next day or three.  Anyone can do this.  All you need to do it have two cultures going and toss the tiniest ones along with the breeders into the next bin.  That way the tiny ones get to mature and the breeders get to breed.

Mugwump

Thanx, Liz....looks like a lot of worms there...use some for fish'n too??
Jon

LizStreithorst

I tried to get pics of the too small ones and the breeders that I put into the second culture to breed and mature but the pics didn't come out clear.  The worms were in my hand because I wanted you to have a size reference.  I couldn't hold my hand out far enough to get them into focus.  I'll do it another way later.

For now, this is what you get.  I put the amount of worms and compost in the small container.  I dump it into the larger one which is set on a 2X4 and angled down.  I work through the worms and their compost picking what I want to feed and putting them into the round containers.  What I don't feed I move to the bottom of the tray I'm sifting through.  It goes back into the second culture.

From that small amount of worms and compost I was able to feed 32 Discus and Mugs 5 pigs 3 worms each.  I had more in that batch that I didn't bother to pick through.  I could have fed another 2 tanks of Angels from what was left.

Mugwump

nice system.....I'll try it that way too...
Jon

Jdmcfast

Thanks for the pics and explanation

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh