• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 01:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 637
Total: 637

L'l red worms

Started by Mugwump, May 27, 2013, 03:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

What a trip it is feeding the red worms to the angels. Liz, sent us a nice culture to try...well, today was the day....."Holy Tug-O-War, Batman'   LOL....I cut a few, carefully, in half...then the action really started....The Manacapuru cross loved them...then tried the Koi...zounds, they went berserk....LOL....even the Cories loved em.....the 'stud muffin' snagged one before grandma cougar could get to it.....yep, looks like a winner...thanks again, Liz..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

did you feed the worms the horse turds I sent?  The worms breed like crazy in horse turds.  Discus don't touch worms when they're cut in half.  I feed them whole.  I've become good at picking the right size worm for the size fish, and keeping the culture producing well.  It actually took a long time to figure out.  I have added it to my list of accomplishments.

I have more if anyone wants to give them a try.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I'm actually thinking of splitting up the culture and having two to work with....so far, no turds, just coffee grounds....they're doing real well...I took a plastic fork, like a mini shovel and rolled a fork full over..they were teeming in there...cool....another reason to give them some more room...then I'll add the turds and more soil....by the by, Manny dug out the onion bulb that was in there and carried it around the house with Jan yelling at him to drop it..or she'd 'brain' him....it was quite the sight..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .....what a guy, knows how to create excitement.... :o
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They need more dirt for sure. I sent them in their own compost, so I'm sure that you will have eggs hatching,  Dividing them in half is a good idea.  The ones that will be resting and reproducing will need more horse turds than the ones you're feeding. 

The worms love onions.  I'm sure than Manny slung a few worms around you house.  Sorry...If you chop the onions up it won't happen.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 27, 2013, 03:35:59 PM
I have more if anyone wants to give them a try.

Please & Thank You!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

PM me your shipping info and when you want to do it.  I do USPS Express.  It's supposed to take 2 days.  sometimes it takes longer.  I have some worthless Mystery sails I can toss in if you'd like them.

Frank The Plumber

Horse turds I'm a little short on................horses don't use the plumber.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

For some reason I got a laugh out of shipping horse turds. The worms sound interesting, sounds like Jon likes them.   
Scott

Jdmcfast

Sounds very interesting keep us updated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

Jdmcfast

I started my own small "worm farm" yesterday we will see how it goes

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

Mugwump

Cool...Liz has a mish/mash recipe for the culture media....dirt/onions/coffee grounds/etc...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Jdmcfast on May 29, 2013, 01:03:20 PM
I started my own small "worm farm" yesterday we will see how it goes

Cool!  If you need any advice I'll be more than happy to help you.  I consider myself to be the worm lady (blush).

Jdmcfast

Thanks Liz I put coffee grounds and some veggie scraps any other suggestions?

Josh

LizStreithorst

Keep the culture moist like a wrung out sponge,  feed them all your veggie scraps.  They like torn up newspaper, as well.  Except for checking the moisture and feeding, walk away from them and let them get comfortable in their new digs for 3 weeks. 

Jdmcfast

So do you just put new veggies and stuff on top or do you attempt to mix them in?

Josh