• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 12:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 523
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 522
Total: 522

Pleco Frustration

Started by PaulineMi, June 08, 2014, 01:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I finally tore down an ancient 55 with the "odds and ends" fish, plants and driftwood. Of course the tiger pleco is clinging tightly to a crevice in a big hunk of mopani wood. I don't want to put that wood back into a tank.

Right now I have the wood suspended over the old tank hoping the pleco will back up and fall into the tank. However I'm wondering if he'll stay in the wood and die there. Will this work or should I refill the tank so it just touches where the pleco is? That way he might feel more secure and back up into water. I don't want to refill the tank if I don't have to.

Even though there are pretty plecos out there I don't like owning them.  This guy is pretty lucky I have a soft spot for my critters. >:( He's been here for 10 years.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

LOL.....I just tickle their tails and agitate them until they release....you might just put some water in a bucket and toss the wood in it.....he'll let go sooner or later,,,then snatch the wood....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Yes...duh.  A smaller container. Lol. I tried annoying him but he stayed put. Compressiseps cichlids do this too. It takes major searching to find them and then more time to get them to release from their hidey hole. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

PaulineMi

The annoyance tactic worked.  Got the little bugger!   ;D

Mugwump

...Ta Da !!!!...victory is yours !!!!...... ;D...they can be stubborn tho, huh?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Carpking

I have a 7" striped Raphael that will die with me! Why? Because I have a piece of tree trunk in my 210. The top has a beautiful hollowed out section at the top that he calls home. There is no "tickling" a striped Raphael, and this trunk weighs about 30 pounds and has to be "worked" into the tank because of the fingers, so suspending it is impossible.

No joke, when I do water changes, the water drains out, and he STAYS there! No water. 30-40 minutes between draining past his level and refilling. Mightily he thwarts me.

I'll send someone a pic of the trunk if they want to post it.

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on June 08, 2014, 05:09:52 PM
I have a 7" striped Raphael that will die with me! Why? Because I have a piece of tree trunk in my 210. The top has a beautiful hollowed out section at the top that he calls home. There is no "tickling" a striped Raphael, and this trunk weighs about 30 pounds and has to be "worked" into the tank because of the fingers, so suspending it is impossible.

No joke, when I do water changes, the water drains out, and he STAYS there! No water. 30-40 minutes between draining past his level and refilling. Mightily he thwarts me.

I'll send someone a pic of the trunk if they want to post it.

LOL...I know, Bob...I have three of them in a 110...they wedge in the 'holy rock' and refuse to come out....I've had two of them try for the same hole...it's ugly...LOL...they do come out at night, but only come out for shrimp pellets or 'Bob's' #40 pellet during the day....They do talk a storm when out of water huh?....mine moan and chatter... ;D....they are neat characters.... ;D
Jon

Carpking

Yeah he comes out at night to eat, but I ain't chasing his silly arse around in the dark. By the way, did you know that those samurai spikes they have are also on the INSIDE of their pectoral fins? Ask me how I found that out!

ilroost

Got one myself, only see him about once or twice a month. Sometimes i dig for him just to see if he is alive

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on June 08, 2014, 05:22:41 PM
Yeah he comes out at night to eat, but I ain't chasing his silly arse around in the dark. By the way, did you know that those samurai spikes they have are also on the INSIDE of their pectoral fins? Ask me how I found that out!

LOL...I can only imagine how you discovered those... ;D   I tried tugging on the tail of one to pull back out of the hole....he shrugged and went in further...LOL....strong fish...

I love watching when the three of them are out foraging...they just wiggle and glide across the bottom....fascinating creatures...
Jon

Carpking

Grabbed him behind those fins thinking it was a safe place. He clamped those babies down on me like a hungry dog on a soup bone!

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on June 08, 2014, 08:07:56 PM
Grabbed him behind those fins thinking it was a safe place. He clamped those babies down on me like a hungry dog on a soup bone!

whoops... ;D....cut ya good???
Jon

Carpking

No, luckily years as swap chair has toughened my skin  :o

Mugwump

Quote from: Carpking on June 08, 2014, 08:45:05 PM
No, luckily years as swap chair has toughened my skin  :o

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...tends to do that, I guess.... ;D
Jon

b125killer

Once one I was cleaning the tank, I took out the wood and put it in a bucket. When I started to clean some more I herd a thud. At first I wasn't thinking of what it could be. Then when I put the wood back the male and about 30 babies where at the bottom of the bucket. I put the male back into the tank and the fry into a 2.5 gallon. They all survived the ordeal, Now I look closely at the wood before I pull it out the tank.
Scott