• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 584
Total: 584

On Approval

Started by Ron Sower, April 20, 2013, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I'm not going to steal Steve's thread about the Crappy Swap meet so I'm starting a new topic.

The last swap we had, I took a small tote full of heaters I;ve collected over the years through CL and trades.  There were a bunch of different brands and I didn't have time to test them out, so I set the tote on the table and when anyone asked I gave them my card, and said take home 2 of them, test them out to your satisfaction and contact me and to pay me $5 each for the ones that work for you.

It worked fairly well and I didn't have to test them, and I cleared out a bunch of excess.  One guy said one worked and the other one didn't and came by and paid me; one said they both worked and he's gonna meet me and pay me and donate stuff for the school projects this weekend; another one wrote me that one worked and I don't think I've heard from him since.   :-\

IT was an interesting little study in human nature for me.  When I was a kid I collected postage stamps.  I used to buy them on approval.  They sent me several packets of stamps to pick out what I wanted, and I would send the rest and the money back to them and they'd send another packet in a few weeks.

I think most people are honest and want to do right by their fellow man.....But then there is that element that tries to skate through life on your dime!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

I believe in the overall good of the majority of people.  And also believe what goes around comes around.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

My insignificant other once said that you can spot a crook and that you can spot an honest man.  It's ones that mean well that end up screwing you.  I don't believe that you will hear from your third guy again, Ron.  But won't it make you feel good if you do?

Just for the record, the insignificant other said lots or really good smart things.  Unfortunately, he turned out to be in that nebulous area.  He meant well, but when push came to shove he took the short view.  Shame...He's a smart creative guy.

I believe in giving people the ability to show what they're made of.  It's easy to do if you are prepared for a slight let down.  It's the way to find the best friends.  On the other hand, I have so very few friends.  I don't know which is right.  I just know that over my 62 1/2 years of life, my handful of good friends are like spun gold.  The ones who have screwed me won't get to screw me again, the damn dishonest opportunists!

There are only 3 people in my life who I have not yet been able to forgive.  One was a moron restaurant owner who accused me of stealing.  It was back 30 years ago.  The other two are fish people.  I'll be able to forgive the one who screwed me with money and diseased  before I'll be able to forgive the one who hurt my feelings.  The first guy really DID mean well.  I think that he's what's called "a good time guy".  I didn't know about good time guys 12 years ago.  I'm naive.  The guy who hurt my feelings might suffer my wrath until hell freezes over.  I know he's out there.  I make myself stay away from him.  My vindictiveness only hurts me.

Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 20, 2013, 05:34:16 PM
There's always the Desiderata for a little lift....

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~gongsu/desiderata_textonly.html

Thanks, Pauline...I haven't read that in a while....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Hard to believe but I've NEVER read that.  Thanks.  It reminds me of Polonius' speech in Hamlet.  It can be taken as the words of an old fool or the words of a wise man who has lived life. 

PaulineMi

I like The Optimist Creed also. I have it on a small slip of paper a friend gave to me over 40 years ago...

I noticed a typo where it should say "To WEAR a cheerful countenance..."

http://newoptimistclub.blogspot.com/2012/02/promise-yourself.html?m=1

LizStreithorst

I've thought back on this thread.  I'm not big on platitudes, although the Desiderata thing was very good. 

I think back on the people I've met in fish.  I've only be in the hobby for 13 years yet I've met people who have become true friends, who want to give more than receive.  What I get from the people I most respect, who like me back, so far outweighs having been hurt by two dishonest guys.

Barb

Well said  Liz, you do have a way with words.
Barb