• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 03:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 610
Total: 610

blue HB's ahead ???

Started by Mugwump, September 19, 2014, 04:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Well there should be all 'het's for sure.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to Liz, My pb blue HB has a mate now. Lix sent up a pretty little zebra HB.. ;D ;D ;D
Now we'll what transpires.... ;D resulting spawn should yield 50/50 zebra HB 'hets' and PB HB 'hets'......*big grin*. 8)

oh....and they seem to like each other.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm the one most excited because I am the one who gets first shot at the fry ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 19, 2014, 04:46:37 PM
I'm the one most excited because I am the one who gets first shot at the fry ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Why yes you do...... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Where did you get the Blue HB,is it one of Frank's.   

LizStreithorst

He mentioned in passing via PM that he had one.  I told him that he'd been keeping secrets from me!  He said that he had one lone male, a nice veil.  It is indeed an extremely fine fish.  I'd like to know where he bought it, too.  I tried to buy from Frank but he didn't want to sell to me :-\

I have a ton of breeding age HB's and I thought that a standard fin would be a better choice than a veil so I picked out a nice HB Zebra and sent it to him.  I figure that the female is het for ps, too :-[ :D :D

I drool over the thought of working with fry from these two.  I'm sure that it will happen, but it will take time. I know that I will be reinventing the wheel, but it will be MY wheel and wheel.  Besides mine will likely carry the ps gene ;)

Mugwump

Last Dec, I believe, Frank came up to me, (at a GCCA swap) with a bag of dime fish that had gotten too cool in the bottom of one of boxes, he had brought to sell. He asked if I wanted them because we had tanks set up...and without warming them up..they'd be toast. I took em and popped the bag in one of our tanks. Two of them made it home with us....a little plat pariaba, that passed the next day, and a pb HB.....who settled in great, I raised him with the 'keeper' PB spawn. He's turned into a pretty angel. I was looking at crossing him to an HE...but then Liz and I chatted and she offered her very pretty female HB for the project.....perfect match.....out cross the line and pick up a 'het' pb.... ;D
Now as long as he doesn't surprise me, and become a she.....LOL....things should go well... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

.she's eating well and already challenging the female in the next tank.. ;D.....the next door male likes her..but challenges the PB HB male......the hormones are racing, as the next door couple are about to spawn.....LOL>..
Jon

LizStreithorst

I think it does them good to watch another pair spawn.  I've also heard that  if you some water from the tank that a pair has spawned in to the tank of the pair you want to spawn, it helps them to get down to it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 21, 2014, 08:59:30 AM
I think it does them good to watch another pair spawn.  I've also heard that  if you some water from the tank that a pair has spawned in to the tank of the pair you want to spawn, it helps them to get down to it.

Yes, water transfer of spawning hormones is an old technique.....it can be effective most often if the fish are hedging about getting down to business.... ;D
Jon

JC

That's exciting Jon. I'd like to work with halfblacks but I need to get a few more tanks first