• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 10, 2024, 04:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,338
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 672
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 673
Total: 673

need suggestions on water pump

Started by LizStreithorst, July 21, 2013, 08:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My 1/2 hp Wayne water transfer pump died last night.  I was never that crazy about it and want to replace it with something better.  I'm looking at these: http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/119/External-Magnetic-Drive-Pumps?green=E20899A6-7582-56E3-94F7-98A3628FE1B0  or perhaps the MD12 https://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/700/Danner-Supreme-Mag-Drive-Pumps, but I'm open to other suggestions.  At present I am changing up to 250 gallons of water daily, but if the pairs get cooking in the fish room that could increase to up to 400 gallons daily.

I don't need high head, becuase everything drains slightly down hill.  I want one that will last.  Any ideas?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I've had very good luck with the ECO pumps from Ken's...  http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/water-pumps/ecoplus-submersible-pumps.html

I have a couple of the Eco 396, (400 gallons per hour), that I've used for several years now.  One pumps waste water out of the fish room and the other pumps water into the tanks from my vat.  Some of my tanks are around 6' off the floor and it does pump slower lifting the water that high.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I guess I'm impatient.  I just can't see spending an hour draining 400 gallons of water.  I've always used stronger pumps and when I had fry, just switched to gravity.  In Mobile I had a swimming pool pump that I managed to pick up used for next to nothing.  Talk about moving some water!

Right now I'm using a Pan World 250 PS for filling. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pan-world-250ps.html  I love it, but I don't need that powerful a pump for draining.  I'm still leaning toward one of these, probably the less expensive one.  I can handle spending 1/2 hr draining.

The Wayne was loud and for 1/2 hp, just didn't seem to drain the water all that fast.  I also prefer brushless motors.

Mugwump

Interesting...I like mine, plus I use gravity hose too. I hooked my pump hose to the lead section of an old python, with the tube/switch, I can tone down the suction on light substrate and power on through the rest...with my remote switch, I can drain/clean a some tanks to start, then drain/fill as I go...system works for me...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just did WC.  I used my 1/2 hp sump pump to drain.  It took over 45 minutes to drain and just under 15 minutes to refill 250 gallons.  Way way to slow for me.  Perhaps the difference in our outlook on this is that I have Discus and change water every day rather than once or twice a week.

Right now I have it narrowed down to two pumps.  The more expensive one in the first link in my first post or this one http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/4249/Pan-World-Mag-Drive-Pump-Export-Model.  I have a stronger Pan World that I use for refilling.  The Pan world is a better quality pump than the MD55 for less than $20. more.

I'll chat with the folks at Aquatic EcoSystems tomorrow.  They are real good at giving advice.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 21, 2013, 03:18:14 PM
Perhaps the difference in our outlook on this is that I have Discus and change water every day rather than once or twice a week.

I think the main difference is tank size.  I have lots of fry tanks that get daily water changes, but they are not 250 gallon tanks.  LOL

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 21, 2013, 03:18:14 PMRight now I have it narrowed down to two pumps.  The more expensive one in the first link in my first post or this one http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/4249/Pan-World-Mag-Drive-Pump-Export-Model.

With that pump you'll need 1 inch hoses to get the full beneifit and you'll also need a power converter as it's set to use European power at 230V/50 Hz

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I wasn't smart enough to notice the different power requirements. :-[

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

I ordered the MD55 yesterday morning, first thing.  Then I chatted about my Wayne pump on DaaH.  They said that it pumps 2400 gallon per hour.  My mistake is that I had the output side hooked up to a garden hose rather than PVC.  Rick said that it was the brushes that caused the sparks and smoke and taught me how to sand them down.  I did it and it didn't work.  But it's worth it to buy new brushes and try it again.  So I'll end up with one external pump that does not need brushes and a back up pump which pumps a larger volume of water (if I'm lucky).

BallAquatics

Looks like a great pump Liz!  Your pipe sizes play a big part in how much water a pump can move.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

The new pump arrived yesterday and I adore it.  Moves water fast and is so quiet I can't hear it running.

BallAquatics

Excellent!!!  Being super quiet is a trade mark of magnetic pumps.

Dennis

Mugwump

How did you end up hooking it up....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have a hole drilled through the wall that's just large enough to shove a piece of 3/4" PVC through.  The outlet from the pump is 1".  I thought I might need to drill a larger hole and use 1" PVC but I do not.  Complete 250 gallon WC was done in less than 1/2 half hour and I vacuumed all by bottoms as always.  I think I may be in love with my draining pump.