• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 08:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 516
Total: 516

problems spawning

Started by b125killer, October 16, 2012, 07:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I'm not sure what is bothering my BN's. I have had Two spawns go bad on me. The water water parameters are good. The only thing different in the tank is a pair of Blue rams. I don't think that there bothering each other but not to sure.   
Scott

Mugwump

They might need more protein.....blood worms are good for that....is there wood in there?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Protein seems like a good place to start. I have been feeding brine shrimp But not that often. I also have some of the earthworm flake.
I'll start giving them more protein see if that helps. I have wood in all my tanks. I like the look of it plus it helps the plecos. I even got a little piece of wood in the ten gallon.   
Scott

Rjb3

Water quality, temp., and food are the keys to success. You would be surprised how cool the water can be for BN spawns. Because I raised lots of cory catfish, most of my tanks are cool. Most of them were 72-75 and below. The cooler temps produced larger spawns for me. 80+ fry

I actually tried temperature experiments with Endlers. Warm 82-84 temps grew huge females while the cooler temps 70-72 grew a higher percentage of male fish.

b125killer

I haven't thought about the temp. it's at 78 now. I change the water every other day. I have been giving them more brine shrimp and blood worms this time around plus SOS pellets and Top Secret. I will lower the temps too. I got them to do it before but for some reason the last two spawns didn't take.
Scott

Rjb3

Temp changes are easy and free. I like easy and free.

b125killer

Scott

P4Angels2

Aron noticed that we had a BN that would kick his eggs he was tending out...so...he turned the cave up so that he would be facing head down...and presto we have a ton of little BN's running thru the tank!!!

Rjb3

See, that's how we learn. I've had BNs kick the eggs out, but they got it right the next time. Some of the whiptails like L10a want the cave in a more vertical placement. Never thought to try it with BNs. When I saw that picture I noticed the cave dug into the gravel and wondered about it.

Mugwump

Are we taking a 45deg angle??....30deg....never seen that, altho after looking, some of ours are tilted slightly....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

45 degree. Just like the picture... Has worked on 2 of my BN's males now. So i ain't gonna change it now....  8)
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

b125killer

Thanks everyone for the help. My bn's spawned and daddy is doing his job. I got there cave at an angle lowered the temp and feed more protein. so far so good. There eggs look alot better than the last time too.   
Scott

b125killer

I have wigglers already. I'm so happy.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Ah yes, life is good......sweeeeeet..
Jon