• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 12:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

The Little Snots

Started by LizStreithorst, November 08, 2014, 08:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

That's what the little white tipped BN are called.  Mug named them not me.  I gave them spinach for the first time today.  I stuck it on a fork and tossed it in as I was advised.  OMG, they attacked it!!!!!!
Tomorrow I'll stick some zucchini on a fork and toss it in.  I want to find out if their love affair is with unblanched veggies or spinach.

The cashier at my local market got a kick out of the fact that I'd bought a bag of spinach to feed my fish. I got to tell her all about pleco's feeding habits and that I had 45 or 55 (I can't remember how many Mug sent) little snots to keep happy :) 
Always move forward. Never look back.

JC

My plecos love zucchini. I just slice it, stick it on a fork and toss it in the tank

Mugwump

..good story, Liz....some folks are amazed about fish keeping.....they'll even tell you that they have had a tank before....sometimes, that they still have a little tank at home...we'll tell then about the swaps, etc now days... and even some, we'll see at the events later on..... ;D

I'm not sure how many were in there....we counted 55..then 53..then 56...????...LOL...they weren't cooperating at all... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I've been known to buy all the spinach. Every last bunch. They always ask me what all the spinach is for when I have ten pounds or more.

LizStreithorst

That's funny, Captain.  I bet their draws drop when you tell them what it's for.  What of your foods do you put the spinach in?

BTW, the verdict is in.  I fed the snots spinach and unblanched zucchini today and they went crazy for both.  They prefer unblanched to blanched, not spinach to zucchini.

Rjb3

Just the FRENZY foods get the spinach.

LizStreithorst

Of all my fish, my little snots give me the greatest pleasure.  They always make me smile.  They're so busy!

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 15, 2014, 02:25:38 PM
Of all my fish, my little snots give me the greatest pleasure.  They always make me smile.  They're so busy!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

There's no pressure with the little snots.  Give 'em veggies and they have a blast eating all the time.  Forgive a stupid question but do BN's become more shy and more nocturnal as they mature?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 15, 2014, 02:49:31 PM
There's no pressure with the little snots.  Give 'em veggies and they have a blast eating all the time.  Forgive a stupid question but do BN's become more shy and more nocturnal as they mature?

As they mature, most folks move trios to larger tanks to pair off/breed....and yes, in smaller numbers they can get more territorial, and reclusive.....different species of BN's can even be nocturnal too..

We have a 55 that has many adults pairing off....it's actually quite active....just remember that the more rocks/plants/sponges that there are in a tank...the more hiding places for them...
Jon