• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:01:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 514
Total: 514

Zebra Plecos

Started by Mugwump, October 29, 2012, 08:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Anyone here keep these...??
>>>>>>>>>>

The Zebra Pleco is a dwarf species that reaches a maximum size of three inches in length. It is one of the many members of the Loricariidae family, the suckermouth catfish. Due to the great variety within the catfish category, it has become very difficult to categorize them by species. As a result, you may see a reference to the letter "L" for the family Loricariidae, followed by a number. The Zebra is referred to as L-46.
The Zebra pleco is a nocturnal fish making its rounds during the evening. This highly sought after species occupies the bottom of the aquarium and appreciates plenty of rockwork and driftwood in its environment for hiding. This shy fish should not be kept with other bottom dwelling fish that will out compete Zebras for food. Ideally the aquarium should be maintained at water temperatures between 77-86 degrees, with an abundance of live plants in order to provide an oxygen rich environment.

Unlike other algae eating Loricarids, Zebra Plecos do not chew on driftwood. The Zebra Pleco should be fed meaty foods that sink to the bottom of the aquarium. Ideal foods include a high quality flake food, sinking carnivore pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms tubifex and brine shrimp, as well as sinking algae wafers.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I don't own any but I have a friend that is growing out 10 of then in hopes to get a breeding group. They still have atleast another year before they will sexually mature. They are extremely beautiful creatures! But cost a pretty penny!

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

b125killer

I would like to have Zebra Plecos. They cost way to much for me. I heard that they hide most of the time.
Scott

Jdmcfast

Yes they do you rarely see them at all :(

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

b125killer

It just don't make scenes to me to spend hundreds of dollars on a fish that you don't get to see. Maybe with everyone else buying them in a few years after people get them to breed they will be cheaper. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 29, 2012, 02:57:37 PM
It just don't make scenes to me to spend hundreds of dollars on a fish that you don't get to see. Maybe with everyone else buying them in a few years after people get them to breed they will be cheaper.

There's quite a few folks breeding, and trying to breed them, however the spawn size and survival rate is usually in the single digits...hence, their value....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

Quote from: Mugwump on October 29, 2012, 04:06:45 PM
Quote from: b125killer on October 29, 2012, 02:57:37 PM

There's quite a few folks breeding, and trying to breed them, however the spawn size and survival rate is usually in the single digits...hence, their value....

I had one once, a customer had a list of fish he wanted to sell and I told him that although I knew it was worth a lot more all I could afford to give him for it was $50.00.  I told him that if he didn't want to sell it for that I understood. He came in with it the next day (along with the other ones I bought)

Sadly it only lasted about 4 months before I managed to kill it somehow but at least I can say I had one because at their current prices I'm sure I'll never have another one.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Frank The Plumber

As soon as I get a group producing the price will crash and they will go for $3 each on AB. Everything I buy does that.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?