• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 11:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

Monday whatevers

Started by Mugwump, February 26, 2018, 09:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...water changes moving right along....took a break for some fresh coffee  |^|

The sun is out, it's warming up into a nice day....can't wait to go out and maybe do nothing but walk around picking up sticks  8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Got some snow overnight.

I looked out the window yesterday and one of the goats was standing in a strange way, like it was paralyzed. We gave it a shot of vitamin B and its better this morning. Weird.
Dan

Mugwump

...52 degs here already.......where's my shorts?  8)

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It's just an easy day off here.  WC will be later.  First pair of half blacks spawned and ate the kids.  I made chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.  It will be better tomorrow so I let it cool some and stuck it in the fridge until tomorrow.  I did have a taste and I totally cannot wait!  We never did get all the rain that was predicted.  The sun is out now.  Everything is greening up.  It's beautiful.  It's still February so it's not supposed to be like this here in Feb.  I just hope that we don't get a killer freeze in May.  The weather gets wackier every year.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on February 26, 2018, 01:21:36 PM
Got some snow overnight.

I looked out the window yesterday and one of the goats was standing in a strange way, like it was paralyzed. We gave it a shot of vitamin B and its better this morning. Weird.

I've never had that in my goats but I've heard about it and used to know how it worked.  I kinda remember that a friend had a doe who he saw standing in his fishing pond.  Goats don't do that.  He called my vet who showed up and determined that the doe had eaten bracken fern which he had everywhere.  The cure was a shot of one of the B vitamins.  I might be way wrong but that's what I remember.

What made you think that vitamin B would work.  Did you use B complex or just one of the B's? 

wallace

We had read earlier about goats sometimes having a problem with absorption of Thiamine. It can either be a dietary thing or maybe clostridium in the gut. We need to vaccinate against clostridium and they are overdue for it. We have lost several cows to a similar bacterial problem. The shot was a B-complex. I was afraid it was peritonitis, but the vitamin shot looks like it worked.
Dan

LizStreithorst

Yeah. it is Thiamine.  I had forgotten.  It's been a long time...Since B vitamins are water soluble and need the other B's to work well B complex was way to go.  I never had clostriduim but I always vaccinated against it and tetanus because is was said to be necessary.

I still have dreams about owning dairy goats but my dreams are always filled with stress.  I miss loving the goats but I don't miss what they made me go through emotioally.

How's the baby with the screw up hoof doing?

Mugwump

..Isn't there a feed, or supplement, that can be used regularly...??
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 26, 2018, 03:52:13 PM
It doesn't happen often.

..then why not a preventative feed?.....too costly?
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yes.  B vitamins taste like shit, too.

wallace

We feed plenty of alfalfa so its a mystery why it was just this one goat.
Dan

wallace

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 26, 2018, 02:15:14 PM

How's the baby with the screw up hoof doing?

She's doing ok but the hoof isn't going to grow to be normal. She won't put weight on it so..
Dan

LizStreithorst

wallace

so we have a pet goat. Just this once .lol
Dan