• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 02:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 613
Total: 613

My Kids

Started by LizStreithorst, December 21, 2013, 04:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have a whole bunch of kids that are turning HB.  I started seeing it at 3 weeks but I'm seeing more and more of them now that they are they are 4 weeks.  They are larger than peas but not quite dimes a 4 weeks.  Is their growth rate OK?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Sounds pretty good....how many in that spawn?..was that the 50-60 batch?...did you move them yet?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I thought that it was a couple of hundred but I bet there were fewer.  Then I culled the shit out out them so there are fewer yet. I'm guessing I have about 150 now.

Mug, I can't believe that I had so many missing pelvics.  There were at least 8, likely more.  Then I saw one that had a missing ventral fin!!!!!  I  put my glasses on when I examine these fish.  I couldn't believe that something so serious had sllpped  by my eye, but it did.

I haven't moved them yet.  I'm a heartless bitch.  Since I can sell nothing even to pet shops I need to concentrate on the job at hand.  I'll leave them where they are in a 20 for another week.  The ones that don't look like they will turn are of no use to me.  I will cull them

Is their growth rate OK?  Larger than peas but not quite dimes at 4 weeks?  I'll take pics of them after I do my weekly tank scrub tomorrow or Mon.

Mugwump

The growth rate is pretty good. You can't gauge one spawn against another...just go for an average on the spawn growth. If you have that many in a 20..it's time to get em in that 60 you spoke about, in another thread. They'll grow even better.
  (p/p) pearl scales can run into these ventral issues. It just happens.Some think that it's environmental, and the tank bottom just needs to be pristine....myself, and most others, don't buy that...it's genetic. Just as D/D blacks can be deleterious, so can the double dose pearl scale....they are a more delicate fry til they get larger....if you want good p/p's...breed two parents that are both 'het' (single dose) for the pearl scale gene.....or at least one parent being 'het'. I think that's what you have..one hb/hb +/p..the other hb/hb p/p...right?...or is one +/hb +/p ?... 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The parents both carry the pearl gene but only a fourth of the fry are homogeneous for the trait as close as I can figure from my  limited knowledge of genetics.  Frank told me to not worry about the ps gene.  I didn't understand why he said that, but I get it now. 

I'll get their tank ready this evening and move them to a 60 tomorrow and wait another week or two before I start killing non HB's.

I think that the ventral thing being environmental is a crock too, unless water quality and maintenance sucks big time.  Thanks for the good advice.  Seems I choose my mentors well.

Mugwump

If about 25% were p/p.....then both parents were 'het's....and yes, Frank was right, pearl scale can be a pain to deal with.....I try to keep it out of the fish room...not really fond of the look either.. ;D

your spawn should have been.....

hb/hb 25%
hb/hb +/p 50%
hb/hb p/p 25%

your hb/hb are likely the best growers...but it'll be hard to tell with the eye, which are which... with 'p' being recessive, and non expressing in single dose
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 21, 2013, 07:18:24 PM
your hb/hb are likely the best growers...but it'll be hard to tell with the eye, which are which... with 'p' being recessive, and non expressing in single dose

My problem is that I really like the look of the double dose of pearl on the HBs.  They look great to my eye.  I may change my mind  as I progress.  I donno.   I don't want to be a fish seller.  All I want is to be able to be happy with the look of the fish that I breed.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 21, 2013, 07:41:08 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 21, 2013, 07:18:24 PM

My problem is that I really like the look of the double dose of pearl on the HBs.  They look great to my eye.  I may change my mind  as I progress.  I donno.   I don't want to be a fish seller.  All I want is to be able to be happy with the look of the fish that I breed.

And that's as it should be.. ;D...but if you can help pay the water/elec, it's a plus to offer a few for sale too. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I just turned 63 and you're trying t teach me practicality?   Practically is not in me.    I follow my heart and let the chips fall where they may :-*

Mugwump

Good for you....kid  ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Moved them to more spacious digs.  Here's pics.

LizStreithorst

a couple more

Mugwump

Looks good....they should grow like weeds in there. Did you toss in any BN's or Cory's too ??
Jon

GeorgeG

You did a good job Liz and culling is a pain in the neck but must be done.  They look good so far.