• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 04:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

Best way to remove hard water stains

Started by LizStreithorst, September 06, 2016, 01:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've tried vinegar.  I've tried CLR.  I've tried both with scrbby pads and even a razor blade.  Perhaps they would have worked if I'd been able to set the tanks on their sides and let them soak in it.  I never got that opportunity. 

Just lately a guy on Simply said to use wet 1200 grit sandpaper.  I decided to try it.  My local hardware store didn't have 1200 grit.  They had all the course stuff then went from 500 to 1500.  I bought one single sheet of 1500 grit to try  on my worst tank.  It worked!  This method is a miracle for me!

My tanks all had Magum's on them and they dripped for years and years and years.  I could feel the built up calcium deposits when I'd run my fingers over the glass.  First I wet the sandpaper with water and the difference was dramatic.  I went back a second time with the sandpaper moisteded with CLR.  WOW!  Deposits gone!!!!  Just 20 tanks to go.  I'll be buying more that one sheet of sandpaper tomorrow ;)
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

If the hardware store doesn't have it, its more of an automotive thing. I've got a 75g tank off a craiglist sale with terrible stains that are etched apparently into the glass. I'm going to skip over the 1200 and try 1500. I had given up on it but this is worth a try.

Dan

LizStreithorst

I'll check Auto-zone tomorrow.  The 1200 is a bit more course than the 1500 and should take less elbow grease.

GeorgeG

I have used Bar Keepers Friend and it works great. The vinegar is useless

Mugwump

Quote from: GeorgeG on September 06, 2016, 07:17:04 PM

|^|...good stuff !
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

Quote from: GeorgeG on September 06, 2016, 07:17:04 PM

Yep, we use that on the shower door too. It wasn't capable of getting everything off this tank though, its as though the stains became part of the glass. It had some kind of background that was attached to the rear glass with round rubber pads that left dark circles on the glass, and nothing will erase those circles. I tried muriatic acid even.

Dan

LizStreithorst

A lot of the folks in my cooking forum use Bar Keeper's Friend, too for their stainless steel pots and pans.  I couldn't find it locally but I understand that Bon Ami is similar.  I tried it on the tanks but it didn't work :(

BallAquatics

I've got a few old pet store tanks that I'll try this on.   |^|

Dennis