• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 10:59:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 414
Total: 414

Ball valves

Started by LizStreithorst, May 10, 2016, 05:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I want to replace my 1" ball valves. The ones I have now are plastic. They are not made for daily use. They are not good quality. Can anyone here suggest a good one? I'll be needing 25 of them so it would be nice if they were under $10. each.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 10, 2016, 05:35:42 PM
I want to replace my 1" ball valves. The ones I have now are plastic. They are not made for daily use. They are not good quality. Can anyone here suggest a good one? I'll be needing 25 of them so it would be nice if they were under $10. each.

https://www.google.com/#q=Lowe%27s,+1%22+ball+valves&tbm=shop
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

A nice man on simply recommended that one although he uses this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5ZTUY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UO4Z3YNWDDIR&coliid=IQ6YEJUOLL7QX    My old beat up hands would prefer a gate valve, but I've heard that they aren't as good as ball valves.  On the other hand, I've had had lots of problems with my gate valves from the handles coming off, to dripping, to them refusing to turn off, to being so hard to turn that I need channel-locks to do it.

I've asked the guy how long he has had his gate valves and if he has had any problems with them.  I'm waiting for his response.  What do you think?  I've found the gate valves cheaper here, but after reading their feedback folks who have had problems have said that their customer service sucks.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5D52NT4528&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-HI+-+Bath+Faucets+Parts-_-9SIA5D52NT4528&gclid=CLX57OjT0MwCFQERaQodZesILg&gclsrc=aw.ds

GeorgeG

For me all I use on my house are ball valves. I took every gate valve off and replaced them with ball valves including the main water in front of the house. I have hard water here in Arizona so every few months I go around the house and operate each one a few times to make sure they stay operable.

LizStreithorst

I heard back from Ricardo.  He said that I'd be better off with the ball valve.  He said that they were serviceable which I noticed from the picture. He also said that they turned easily which will make my hands happy.

BillT

Ball valves are probably more reliable.

Schedule 80 valves will be better that schedule 40.

Different makes are better or worse. Spears for example is good. Some are crappy.

Around here we have the hardware store equivalent of thrift shops. if you have those where you are you could probably get some schedule 80 valves at a reasonable price.

GeorgeG

If you find them near you at one of the stores grab them and see which ones operate the best in your hand. Try them all until you find the ones the best suit your needs.

LizStreithorst

Alas a handle on another of my cheap hardware store valves that didn't want to turn broke.  That makes 2 broken handles and one valve that won't turn completely off.  I have no choice.  I'm going to have to order expensive valves now.