• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 08:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 578
Total: 579

Anyone using Purigen?

Started by Mugwump, November 17, 2013, 07:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I use it in a couple of tanks.  I have some that needs cleaning.  LOL. it's pretty darn expensive so I need to clean it.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I've regenerated mine frequently over the years.  However that part about the pH swing is something I've never heard about.  Thanks for that link.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 17, 2013, 07:18:21 AM
I use it in a couple of tanks.  I have some that needs cleaning.  LOL. it's pretty darn expensive so I need to clean it.

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116016506-Purigen-100ml/dp/B0002A5VK2
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

Well I have never heard of this product. Sound pretty interesting.
How many times can you regenerate it? Does it "wear-out"?

Sounds like it is a molecular sieve which has molecular sized holes in it where molecules of particular chemicals fit into and "get stuck" there.
Ion exchange resins work by shape and charge matching, sieves work just based on size and shape. Sieves can be engineered to be fairly specific in what they bind.

wsantia1

Quote from: BillT on November 17, 2013, 12:48:02 PM
Well I have never heard of this product. Sound pretty interesting.
How many times can you regenerate it? Does it "wear-out"?

Sounds like it is a molecular sieve which has molecular sized holes in it where molecules of particular chemicals fit into and "get stuck" there.
Ion exchange resins work by shape and charge matching, sieves work just based on size and shape. Sieves can be engineered to be fairly specific in what they bind.

I don't know how many times you can regenerate it but every time I recharge it I lose some because the granules are almost sand like and I can't seem to get it all back into the media bag.  I end up having to add some new granules to it.  It is supposed to last up to 6 mos. between charges.
Willie

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 17, 2013, 08:05:27 AM
anyone tried it in a HOT mag????

I don't think you can use it with the micron cartridge but if you use the hot mag as a regular filter then it is possible.
Willie

b125killer

I got some Purigen today. I went to the lfs to get it, I asked Rob the fish manger if he has heard of it. He said that's what he uses and loves the stuff. He also explained to me how to use it and regenerate it. I'm sure you could use it in the Hot Mag. I don't think I would use it with the micron filter. I would put it in a mesh bag and put it in the basket. I did put some in the fluval 405 on the 72g tank. I have a lot of wood in the tank so there is a lot of tanning leaching out. I'll see in a few days how well it clears up. If I like what I see I'm going to try it in my planted tank.
Scott

BillT

QuoteI don't think you can use it with the micron cartridge but if you use the hot mag as a regular filter then it is possible.
QuoteI don't think I would use it with the micron filter.

Why's this with the micron filters?
Are the particles so small that they clog in a micro filter?
How small are they?

PaulineMi

I don't know the exact size of the beads but Seachem recommends putting them in a 180 micron bag.

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on November 23, 2013, 07:42:31 AM
I don't know the exact size of the beads but Seachem recommends putting them in a 180 micron bag.

The beads are a little bigger than sand.  The 180 micron bag is the best bet.  I tried to use a stocking once ( a cheap one  ;D)and the beads came right out.

If you use it with a micro cartridge I think the cartridge will become clogged way before the purigen has had chance to do what it is supposed to do to the water. 

The instructions say the purigen can last up to 6 months between charges in some cases.
Willie