• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 12:35:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 645
Total: 645

Started in hobby

Started by JC, September 22, 2014, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

Wanted to start a thread to see how and when everyone got started breeding angels.
I'll start. About 8yrs ago when I met my wife her grandfather (who's been breeding angels for years) gave her and I a 10 gal tank with 6 dime size silver angels as a house warming gift. They grew up and paired off so I bought a 20gal to house the pair in. One day they were acting very feisty (guarding eggs which I hadn't noticed) all of a sudden there were tons of little babies swimming full over the tank. I was so in a trance watching these babies that I had to know more about breeding them so I went to visit her grandpa to see his fishroom and to learn how to breed angelfish. I've gotten better over time and have had a fishroom as big as 42 tanks at one time breeding angelfish, cories, plecos, guppies, swordtails, and a slew of fish from lake tanganyika but I always go back to angels because they are so graceful and peaceful to watch.

Mugwump

I'm not sure if it was the goldfish at the carnival, or putting minnows in a drum bowl....but it was somewhere back there in time.... ;D A fiver full of guppies was in there someplace, then my dad getting a couple metal frame 15's with some platties, swords,cory's, and a male betta in each tank...they were end to end on a room divider. We could watch them from the breakfast/lunch table....fascinating they were..... ;D...then a tank here and a tank there over the years. My lovely bride also had a tank in her room. So...when we got married we started with a couple, three tanks....angels,of course, in a mirror back 20H....and one of those same 15 gal metal frame tanks with live bearers....as the years went by, we had a tank somewhere....sometimes as many as 15, or so...and as few as one..plus a live terrarium with tree frogs, or chameleons, etc....After the boys had grown with families of there own,,,,it was fish time.. ;D ;D ;D ;D.....we popped up a bunch, then a bunch more, then family gatherings for the holidays left the open finished basement ...we were off and running...LOL.....now, roughly 1500 gals, give or take with 45-50+ tanks running as needed......we love it down there, and you can't just go down to check on things....when you go down....time stands still until you emerge and wonder....where the hell did the day go..?????
Fish have been both a fascinating and interesting part of our lives, as well as the dogs, cats, birds, etc, ....I'd do it all over in a heart beat....if not for the adventure and pleasure it brings us....but for allowing us to meet some of the best folks in our lives..........fish people...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson