• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 04:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 556
Total: 556

Southern Ice/snow storm

Started by Mugwump, January 29, 2014, 08:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...looks very ugly down there.....kids sleeping in schools, and stranded in buses....auto accidents, etal...wow....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

We have 2" of ice with 3" of snow on top this morning.  Temp 20, no melting today.  They tell us to stay home until Friday.  We are well stocked and house is nice and toasty, cats and fish all well, and a beautiful sight out the windows.  But we aren't used to this stuff.  Been 3 years since our last snow!  My Koi pond is half frozen over, a very rare thing.
Barb

Mugwump

Well it's good to know that you're not out in that junk....we're kind of used to it here now...LOL...but it still takes a lot of caution when venturing out and about.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

We're "used to it" but it's still nasty and caution is truly necessary.  For those of you southerners who rarely experience this kind of weather ..... stay in and stay safe.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

We're supposed to have a brief thaw today.  The pine belt, where I live, seems to have gotten the worst of it but they say that it will reach 33 later today.  I'm going stir crazy staying home.  They're still telling us not to venture forth because of the ice.  I'm going to venture forth regardless this afternoon.  Tomorrow it will be better by afternoon.  Temps in the 60s are forecast for the weekend.  It's nuts!
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 29, 2014, 09:29:28 AM
We're supposed to have a brief thaw today.  The pine belt, where I live, seems to have gotten the worst of it but they say that it will reach 33 later today.  I'm going stir crazy staying home.  They're still telling us not to venture forth because of the ice.  I'm going to venture forth regardless this afternoon.  Tomorrow it will be better by afternoon.  Temps in the 60s are forecast for the weekend.  It's nuts!

Why in the world would you want to go out in that, Liz....outta beer? ;D
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 29, 2014, 09:29:28 AM
...I'm going to venture forth regardless this afternoon. ....

Strap a pillow on your bum to protect your tailbone..!  ;DMaybe on your elbows and knees too!  :o
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Ron, that is what I should do if I go walking on the ice here.  2" of ice under 2" of snow, I walked on the grass to get the paper this morning.  Here is what our house looks like after the storm left this morning.  My Koi pond in the backyard has a layer of ice on it, almost unheard of here.  We are cozy and toasty warm inside and I will get lots of indoor things done in the next few days!  But what a change from where we were just a few days ago!!!
Barb, in the South Arctic

Mugwump

...'peachy'     at least your's will melt soon... ;D
Jon

Ron Sower

It sure is pretty, Barb.  I know it screws up everything in the cities but it's a wonderful scene in the outlying areas.  You probably won't have th drifting ling those mid-continenters have. (Mid-westerners doesn't seem to fit! To me, the mid west would be northern California...! :o)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

The sun came out!  I was ready to go!  Just then my statewide radio told us off all the wrecks and ice just in my 20 mile radius.   So much for that plan.  I'm getting cabin fever.  I guess I'll give the horses their second feeding a little early and fill 5 empty bird feeders again. 

And yes, I am out of beer >:( >:( >:(

Barb

Thanks Ron and Jon, and Liz, how about dressing warmly and taking a long walk with which ever dog(s) would like to go with you?  You will feel great when you get back!
Barb

LizStreithorst

I will.  Doing something always makes me feel better than doing nothing.

BTW, your snow is beautiful.  We didn't get as much as I had hoped. 

GeorgeG

Save the photos Barb they will make nice Christmas cards

Barb

Good idea George, I will do just that! It is all still here, temps way below freezing.  May be days until it all melts away. Good thing we are well stocked with food.  We don't drive on ice.
Barb