• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 01:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 166
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 162
Total: 162

Pics for Josh

Started by LizStreithorst, October 01, 2014, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 09:22:36 PM
The genetics of this might be explained by one of the genes having an affect up stream of the other in the development of the stripes.

Shutting down the gene upstream of the other could shut down a whole process regardless of the state of the second gene.
Turning up the second one could over ride the first one however.

When one gene interferes with the development of the effects of the other gene, its called epistasis.

That makes sense to me if it means that incomplete dominance and epistasis are the same thing.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteThat makes sense to me if it means that incomplete dominance and epistasis are the same thing.

My understanding of co-dominance is that it is when the heterozygote of two different alleles (a1/a2) is distinguishable from the two different homozygotes (a1/a1 or a2/a2).

If there are two heterozygotes in to different genes (a1/a2 and b1/b2), its not clear to me what would happen.

There is also co-dominant.
This would be like the ABO blood type system in humans.
If a blood cell has one or two A genes, it makes "A" protein in its surface (making it available to antibodies). If a blood cell has one or two B genes, it makes "B" protein in its surface (making it available to antibodies). If it has neither it is an O cell.

I think there are probably gray areas where some of these things overlap.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 09:55:43 PM
QuoteThat makes sense to me if it means that incomplete dominance and epistasis are the same thing.

My understanding of co-dominance is that it is when the heterozygote of two different alleles (a1/a2) is distinguishable from the two different homozygotes (a1/a1 or a2/a2).

If there are two heterozygotes in to different genes (a1/a2 and b1/b2), its not clear to me what would happen.

There is also co-dominant.
This would be like the ABO blood type system in humans.
If a blood cell has one or two A genes, it makes "A" protein in its surface (making it available to antibodies). If a blood cell has one or two B genes, it makes "B" protein in its surface (making it available to antibodies). If it has neither it is an O cell.

I think there are probably gray areas where some of these things overlap.

Yes, because some genes mask, or hinder, expression too....gold is recessive, but in double dose it will mask Silver/zebra/half black/smokey expressions....by blocking the dark gene.....but if you have a Gm in double dose, Gm/Gm, the black markings of the marble will express...but Gm/g will block most of the black markings... you can see examples in koi angels..Gm/Gm S/S and Gm/g S/S...the later having lesser black markings...note, unlike Silver which is void of stripes when S/S is present..the marble gene will continue to express in variation.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson