• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 01:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 166
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 154
Total: 154

Pics for Josh

Started by LizStreithorst, October 01, 2014, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

He're ya go :D
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

file too big to post both at the same time...

JC

Mugwump

...nice tail streamers.... ;D....very nice  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Interesting phenotype.
There are different numbers of vertical lines in front of the black part.

What's the story with that?

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 07:34:29 PM
Interesting phenotype.

Two phenotypes there, Bill...One(male) is a silver half black veil. one (female) is a zebra half black std fins....both express bars..the zebra tho, has the extra bar tho....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

There are more stripes on Zebra's.  The ps is a zebra.  The veil is a silver.  Silvers have one less stripe.  Silver is recessive to Zebra, and most people prefer zebras, but the first HB's I ever owned came from George Garcia and they were all silvers.  I was the one who crossed to zebra.  I like it when I see the old genes showing up again.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on October 01, 2014, 07:44:37 PM
Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 07:34:29 PM
Interesting phenotype.

Two phenotypes there, Bill...One(male) is a silver half black veil. one (female) is a zebra half black std fins....both express bars..the zebra tho, has the extra bar tho....

I'd written out the reason and saw that you'd posted the answer already.  I posted my answer anyway.

JC

Quote from: Mugwump on October 01, 2014, 07:19:19 PM
...nice tail streamers.... ;D....very nice  ;D

Are tail streamers something you can breed for or do they just show up?  I think if I remember right once I read that they are a sign of perfect water quality

BillT

Sweet!

So, are zebra and silver two different alleles of the same gene or are they alleles in completely different genes?

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
Sweet!

So, are zebra and silver two different alleles of the same gene or are they alleles in completely different genes?

Now you're talking over my head.  Even partial dominance is over my head.  I don't know alleles from Adam.  All I know is that the genes don't blend.  One is dominant and the other is recessive.  Mug will know the esoteric stuff.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 01, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
Sweet!

Silver and Zebra are on separate loci...
Zebra and Stripeless share a loci ...Zebra is an incomplete dominant...as is the stripeless gene...you can have a silver ghost S/+. or a clown Z/S, or a blushing silver +/+ S/S....but not a zebra blushing....

Jon

LizStreithorst

This is beyond me.  Are you telling me that Zebra in not dominant over Silver.  I will never wrap my head around this genetic stuff without being shown examples.  The fact that it's over my head makes me feel stupid.  My ignorance of genetics makes me wonder at the fact that I can breed using my eye alone, but I can ???

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 01, 2014, 08:19:18 PM
This is beyond me.  Are you telling me that Zebra in not dominant over Silver.  I will never wrap my head around this genetic stuff without being shown examples.  The fact that it's over my head makes me feel stupid.  My ignorance of genetics makes me wonder at the fact that I can breed using my eye alone, but I can ???

No, I am not......Zebra is an incomplete dominant, it expresses in single dose...that would make it express over silver....and completely with double copies..Z/Z....dark, marble, and gold marble are incomplete dominates also....
Jon

BillT

The genetics of this might be explained by one of the genes having an affect up stream of the other in the development of the stripes.

Shutting down the gene upstream of the other could shut down a whole process regardless of the state of the second gene.
Turning up the second one could over ride the first one however.

When one gene interferes with the development of the effects of the other gene, its called epistasis.