• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 12:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 613
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

Sunday gloomy Sunday...

Started by Mugwump, June 10, 2018, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I'm glad we got to go stroll through 'Malta Days' yesterday because the weather today wouldn't allow it....hopefully it clears up this afternoon somewhat.... huh

..so what's up gang?.....anything exciting going on by you...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Rainy and dreary out today, but no boomers, just steady drip. Yesterday was a pretty good day. Had two BSP/Lace pinoy spawns, a pair of D/g hybrid blacks spawn and a pair of half blacks spawn. BSP/Pinoy spawns were both pretty small, about 50 eggs each. Pulled them both and will see what happens. A couple BSPs are better than none.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 10, 2018, 12:15:08 PM
Rainy and dreary out today, but no boomers, just steady drip. Yesterday was a pretty good day. Had two BSP/Lace pinoy spawns, a pair of D/g hybrid blacks spawn and a pair of half blacks spawn. BSP/Pinoy spawns were both pretty small, about 50 eggs each. Pulled them both and will see what happens. A couple BSPs are better than none.

...do you think the spawns are smaller from being inbred so many times?.....I imagine it would be hell trying to figure out an out cross tho... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Did my chores (except for WC).  Now I'm cooking.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 10, 2018, 03:08:13 PM
Did my chores (except for WC).  Now I'm cooking.

...we just chill'd most the day....now we're trying to figure out what's for dinner.... huh
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on June 10, 2018, 12:53:49 PM

...do you think the spawns are smaller from being inbred so many times?.....I imagine it would be hell trying to figure out an out cross tho... huh

Yes, I think they have been inbred almost to the end. They don't seem to want to spawn and when they do, they seem to have small spawns and high number of runts.  I really can't wait to get a few BSPs to breeding age to try to get some strength into them. 

I think if I breed the hets to something else I will lose the gene.  Only half the offspring would be hets and I couldn't tell which half.
Dale

wsantia1

This afternoon is a washout. Yesterday afternoon was a washout too. We are closing in on our yearly average for rain. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 10, 2018, 04:42:22 PM

Yes, I think they have been inbred almost to the end. They don't seem to want to spawn and when they do, they seem to have small spawns and high number of runts.  I really can't wait to get a few BSPs to breeding age to try to get some strength into them. 

I think if I breed the hets to something else I will lose the gene.  Only half the offspring would be hets and I couldn't tell which half.

....good silvers might make the best cross....after that maybe even a cross back to a parent to lock in what you do get...those fry could be bred back with the silver cross batch.... huh...but it's definitely a long haul....
Jon

Babers

Quote from: waterboy on June 10, 2018, 04:42:22 PM

I must just be lucky...but my pair has been spawning good and producing a descent amount. 
Joel

waterboy

I guess it is just me and my horrible water.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on June 11, 2018, 08:39:06 AM
I guess it is just me and my horrible water.

What are you feeding the parents, Joel?
Jon