• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 05:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 320
Total: 321

Good Tuesday Start

Started by wsantia1, June 09, 2020, 05:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm up and at em early today. It is currently a cool 55 degrees but will be getting up to 87F  this afternoon as the warm and humid air rushes in from the southeast.

I'm going to continue the slow and steady pace I've been on in hopes that the recent relief from back issues will continue. Today just a bit of house cleaning and tank maintenance is in order.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Good  morning Willie, yes, I sent you the hot/humid weather, lol.  Your 55 sounds good to me.  It is already getting hot and humid here now at 9am.  I love AC!!  Glad your back is better, try to keep it good.

I just have another busy day ahead, Dr. visit for Bill, housework, some garden work, etc.  Nothing special.  Maybe dinner out at a drive thru.  A new Chinese fast food place is about to open just 2 mi. from us, Panda Express.  It is a chain, any of you have one?  Is it good?  I love Chinese food.  BTW, since I grew up in San Fran, my parents took my brother and I to Chinatown there a lot.  I learned to use chopsticks very young, my dad taught me.
Barb

Ron Sower

...hello gang!...

...missed you yesterday, but see that everyone was doing okay...Other than Liz taking a side-track excursion to get out!... 2c2

...We got our new golf cart yesterday...traded in our old one...it just too too much repairing too often...the new one is a rebuilt 2017 Club Car model...

...I made a solo trip to Costco....never get out of there cheap!... huh  wfwf

...today is going to be the last "cool" day for awhile...78 now and topping out in the mid 90s...tomorrow it'll be 99+...

...heading to the pain doc's in a few minutes to get the second and last gel shot in my knees...so far, I can't tell that the first one from last week has done anything...by the end of the day, My knees hurt pretty badly...

...didn't do anything on the fireplace yesterday...maybe do a little today....

...Willie, you take care of the back...mine isn't giving me quite as much pain since the RFA...

...Barb, let me know what you think of Panda Express, please!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Hi guys.  Sorry I'm late.  I spent the early morning in the fish room.  I had a few problems that came up suddenly that I had to track down the fixes to.  The electricity was more time consuming but less stressful.  The RO had me baffled but suddenly a light bulb went on in my head and I found the solution.

Since then I've been sitting out in the front yard and admiring my pretty flowers.  I ended up with a purple and yellow color scheme.  I didn't intend it but those are the color flowers that the chickens won't destroy.  I wish I could figure out what to plant in the shady areas.  I bought some ferns but the chickens have given them a good work-over.   I thought about hostas until I read that chickens will eat them until there is nothing left.  Impatiens wouldn't stand a chance.  Do you have any suggestions, Barb?

Today my job is to check my bank balance and pay my bills.  I hate getting started but when I get them all off my back I feel free again.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Liz, I have been thinking about your shade areas.  Don't know how big they are, but if not too big, I would do this:
Mulch the area, then get some large black plastic pots, 18-24" tall, you can get some big cheap ones at Lowes.  Fill them with soil then plant ferns, hostas, impatiens, etc in the pots.  Hope the chickens wouldn't fly or jump into them?  This way you can have some nice shady plants in the area without chickens ruining them,,,,I hope.

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on June 09, 2020, 08:18:38 AM
Good  morning Willie, yes, I sent you the hot/humid weather, lol.  Your 55 sounds good to me.  It is already getting hot and humid here now at 9am.  I love AC!!  Glad your back is better, try to keep it good.

I just have another busy day ahead, Dr. visit for Bill, housework, some garden work, etc.  Nothing special.  Maybe dinner out at a drive thru.  A new Chinese fast food place is about to open just 2 mi. from us, Panda Express.  It is a chain, any of you have one?  Is it good?  I love Chinese food.  BTW, since I grew up in San Fran, my parents took my brother and I to Chinatown there a lot.  I learned to use chopsticks very young, my dad taught me.
Barb

Barb the Panda Express near me is just ok. I like a spicy beef and onion selection that you have to pay more for and I get it with noodles.

Being that you are from San Francisco you may be a little bit disappointed. I think of Panda Express as a fast food joint but I go there for the convenience and because we have lousy chinese food here in Delaware
Willie

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2020, 11:16:16 AM
Hi guys.  Sorry I'm late.  I spent the early morning in the fish room.  I had a few problems that came up suddenly that I had to track down the fixes to.  The electricity was more time consuming but less stressful.  The RO had me baffled but suddenly a light bulb went on in my head and I found the solution.

Since then I've been sitting out in the front yard and admiring my pretty flowers.  I ended up with a purple and yellow color scheme.  I didn't intend it but those are the color flowers that the chickens won't destroy.  I wish I could figure out what to plant in the shady areas.  I bought some ferns but the chickens have given them a good work-over.   I thought about hostas until I read that chickens will eat them until there is nothing left.  Impatiens wouldn't stand a chance.  Do you have any suggestions, Barb?

Today my job is to check my bank balance and pay my bills.  I hate getting started but when I get them all off my back I feel free again.

I was is a store ( Aldi's) near me today and I bought an Orchid for nine bucks. It is a beautiful plant and I have no idea of how to take care of it. I actually thought it was fake because it looked so pretty. Anyway, now I need to do some research. 

Anybody here into Orchids?  huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

I bet Barb can help.  She's now into them like she's into African Violets but I bet she knows.  If not, try google.  Google is my best friend (well, almost).

Barb

Yes, I have orchids now too, since I received 5 last Mother's Day 2019.  I had to learn what to do with them.  They do best with some neglect.  Overwatering is #1 killer.  they need bright light, correct "soil" which is really just small chunks of bark, correct pot and some humidity. Do check online, so much to learn about orchids there, even forums.  I grow 3 in a large terrarium under LED light, and 2 on top of the glass terrarium, in front of a window.
I will let you know how Panda Ex. is when they open. We don't have much good Chinese food here, just 3 buffets, too much food, not hot, unsafe, etc. etc.  I hope PE is better.
Liz, how about my pot idea,( not  w!w). Haha
Barb

LizStreithorst

It doesn't do well in the shade.  I grow mine in the vegetable garden that gets full sun.  The chickens won't destroy once it reaches a foot tall, but before that they will do it great harm or actually peck it to death.  There has to be something for dense shade.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 09, 2020, 01:54:39 PM

Barb

That's worth a try Barb.  Thanks a million!

Barb the Panda Express near me is just ok. I like a spicy beef and onion selection that you have to pay more for and I get it with noodles.

Being that you are from San Francisco you may be a little bit disappointed. I think of Panda Express as a fast food joint but I go there for the convenience and because we have lousy chinese food here in Delaware

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2020, 03:20:07 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on June 09, 2020, 01:54:39 PM

Barb

That's worth a try Barb.  Thanks a million!

Thanks Liz and Barb. I've been checking around on google. For now it is doing good. I don't thimk it will be over watered.  ;D
Willie