• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 05:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 847
Total: 847

Diatom powder & HOT Mag's

Started by Mugwump, June 06, 2014, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...anyone here ever used Diatom powder with their HOT Mag's??....how did you 'charge' it and how did it work??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I love the Hot Mag, I haven't used the Diatom powder. Just never wanted to mess with the stuff.

Scott

LizStreithorst

I've never used the stuff either.  What would the advantage be over the micron filters.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 06, 2014, 09:45:24 PM
I've never used the stuff either.  What would the advantage be over the micron filters.

Diatom powder filters it even better.......... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Never tried it but am tempted too.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 07, 2014, 07:44:32 AM

It's charging the 'mag' that gets tricky....you need to get it running well otherwise with the unit will shoot the powder out in out flow.....I think that Ed tried it...maybe he'll chime in....???he got the powder spraying effect tho... ;D...the powder has to coat the cartridge well before turning the flow loose..
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on June 07, 2014, 07:53:00 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on June 07, 2014, 07:44:32 AM

It's charging the 'mag' that gets tricky....you need to get it running well otherwise with the unit will shoot the powder out in out flow.....I think that Ed tried it...maybe he'll chime in....???he got the powder spraying effect tho... ;D...the powder has to coat the cartridge well before turning the flow loose..

That's what I'm worried about.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

EdKaz

QuoteIt's charging the 'mag' that gets tricky....you need to get it running well otherwise with the unit will shoot the powder out in out flow.....I think that Ed tried it...maybe he'll chime in....???he got the powder spraying effect tho... ;D...the powder has to coat the cartridge well before turning the flow loose..

Yup......tried it once.
Filled the filter with water, stuck it in a bucket and dropped in 1/4 of powder. Ran it until it sucked up all the powder.

Shut it off and moved it to a tank, hit the switch and BADDA BOOM............INSTANT Diatom powder SNOW STORM in the tank >:(

Took a LONG time to get it all back out of the tank. 

I never even tried it a second time though I AM toying with the idea again just to see if it helps with the "brown algae"/diatom issues in a couple of my tanks here.

THIS TIME,  the plan would be to start the filter up with both the intake and exhaust inside a small bucket or large jar while hanging on the tank until it ran clear, than slide the jar out from under the intake and exhaust tubes.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on June 07, 2014, 08:44:55 AM
QuoteIt's charging the 'mag' that gets tricky....you need to get it running well otherwise with the unit will shoot the powder out in out flow.....I think that Ed tried it...maybe he'll chime in....???he got the powder spraying effect tho... ;D...the powder has to coat the cartridge well before turning the flow loose..

Yup......tried it once.
Filled the filter with water, stuck it in a bucket and dropped in 1/4 of powder. Ran it until it sucked up all the powder.

Shut it off and moved it to a tank, hit the switch and BADDA BOOM............INSTANT Diatom powder SNOW STORM in the tank >:(

Took a LONG time to get it all back out of the tank. 

I never even tried it a second time though I AM toying with the idea again just to see if it helps with the "brown algae"/diatom issues in a couple of my tanks here.

THIS TIME,  the plan would be to start the filter up with both the intake and exhaust inside a small bucket or large jar while hanging on the tank until it ran clear, than slide the jar out from under the intake and exhaust tubes.

BOOMBA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I love my diatom filter. And the way you want to charge your HOT filter is exactly how I charge my Vortex up. But as soon as you shut it off it flakes off. And yes, there is a noticeable difference in the clarity of the water. I use a bypass valve setup so I don't have to shut it off moving from tank to tank.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 28, 2014, 10:08:23 AM
I love my diatom filter. And the way you want to charge your HOT filter is exactly how I charge my Vortex up. But as soon as you shut it off it flakes off. And yes, there is a noticeable difference in the clarity of the water. I use a bypass valve setup so I don't have to shut it off moving from tank to tank.

I don't shut my Diatoms off either...fold crimp out flow, then intake....move..release intake, then out flow...boomba....doing it like that for many years...love my Diatoms, all three of them, 2 regular, one jumbo....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I like a bypass valve setup. It's like an H configuration and you don't have to crimp any hoses.

1/2" CPVC fits the tubing and a hose clamp keeps it there.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

I've tried the valves in the past, they were too flimsy, and not durable enough...I even returned one and the replacement was just as bad....it's been awhile tho, perhaps they've got a better unit now???

I bought my first Diatom for $29 in 1970....a local fish shop had them....been using them ever since.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I got mine in 1980 Vortex Inner Space D-1.
I've not found the valves to be flimsy at all. And it is less that $10 to make. 3 valves, a bit of pipe and a tee. Well, and the CPVC glue. So maybe $15.

I've got to be honest though. I haven't used my DF in a while. A long while. And yet I have a 50lb bag of DE in the garage.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 28, 2014, 12:49:36 PM
I got mine in 1980 Vortex Inner Space D-1.
I've not found the valves to be flimsy at all. And it is less that $10 to make. 3 valves, a bit of pipe and a tee. Well, and the CPVC glue. So maybe $15.

I've got to be honest though. I haven't used my DF in a while. A long while. And yet I have a 50lb bag of DE in the garage.

Perhaps I'll just try to make one then...it would make life easier...LOL...
Jon