• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 11:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Angel's spawning

Started by Ron Sower, August 20, 2015, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

A couple months ago I rescued about 6 full grown beautiful angels and re-homed 4 of them. The pal that took them said they spawned in about a week...!

The 2 I kept have been really compatable with the others in the community tank. We haven't had angels for a good while now because they get so protective when they spawn and the other fish are all relegated to the opposite end of the tank. These guys apparently are of the same gender. They hang together all the time and are so graceful.

About 3 weeks ago I came home one day and they were spawning on the glass in the front right corner of the tank. The eggs weren't sticking and the ember tetras and Vietnamese white clouds were having a great time diving in and sucking them in before the eggs hit bottom. The angels weren't in the least interested in chasing the intruders away. So I'm thinking they are probably both females.

Yesterday they were spawning again in the same area. This time the eggs were sticking and they aren't letting anyone get near! On closer examination of their tubes, they certainly appear to be male and female fish. I love the way they roll over on their sides and attack in a horizontal position. It makes me think of a stealth bomber.

They were in a 55g with the other fully grown angels and about 4 other large fish. I guess they never had the opportunity to spawn or protect in that small environment with so many large fish. I'm thinking this is their first series of spawns.

Anyway, I'm just going to enjoy the behavior and see how they fair in parenting this time. If the fry get to survive, I may take some out and place them in one of my little tanks or offer them to some club members to raise.

I hope to get some photos up later today or tomorrow so you guys can tell me what strains they are.

Of to get house photos now!  Have a good day all.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Ron, they won't be able to protect their fry in a community tank once they free swim.  Give yourself and the fish a little joy and give the pair a tank of their own.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Congrat's...... ;D            enjoy  8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 20, 2015, 03:05:16 PM
Ron, they won't be able to protect their fry in a community tank once they free swim.  Give yourself and the fish a little joy and give the pair a tank of their own.

You're right Liz. I've always had them in a rack of tanks in the past so I could grow them out. No room now.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

On well.  In that case contrats, enjoy.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Congratulations Ron. Looking forward to the pictures.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

...ever get those pics??.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Yes I did! So I was transferring them from my phone to my computer yesterday and somehow lost them! What a klutz! I'll shoot them with my Canon and post them.

The angels have be dutifully guarding and fanning the eggs but none have hatched yet. Fewer there each morning so i'm thinking the other fish are picking them off. Also the water temp is probably too cool for them to hatch...low 70's. It's been 5 days now. But it's good to see them parenting the eggs so much better this time. If I ever do take the time to add to my shed and make a fish room out of it, I know I'll go back to raising angels again!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Well guess what!! Got home from Applebees tonight and the angels have about 10 wigglers in the place where the eggs were..! Guess they fooled me. They are picking them up and spitting them back on the glass. We'll see if they survive long enough to put them into a small tank in a day or 2. Guess I should leave a night light on for Mom & Dad to see to guard them.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Here is the male. I love his coloration. What is it?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

..a pretty gold.....nice and thick and round.....sweeet ...
Jon

Ron Sower

The dark one is the female. The light silvery spots will reflect bluish some of the time. Whadyacallit?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

It's a dark marble....pretty one too  ;D....perhaps M/M S/+....marble ghost...??
Jon

Ron Sower

Is there a designation for the gold one?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on August 25, 2015, 10:37:48 PM
Is there a designation for the gold one?

yup.............g/g     8)
Jon