• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 02:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,335
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 532
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 541
Total: 541

Spawning now....finally!

Started by Ron Sower, October 24, 2014, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 25, 2014, 05:35:30 PM
I'd like to know, too.  I have the eye spot and the little spots on the bodies of most but not all of my HBs.  It's something that I don't want to loose, but if I concentrate on stripeless I will kiss it goodbye, right?

yes, once bred out, it can return, but you'll lose intensity IMHO

just keep that line going...gently.... ;D and do the blushers too....it'll give you more options...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Eggs still on the leaf. A few whiteys. Parents are kinda casual about protection. But all they have to really worry about is the 3rd angel who's staying on the opposite side of the tank, mostly out of the line of sight! All the Corys in there are not much of a threat! So just as I write that, I look over and Papa is nailing 2 Sterbai's!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Today's the 3rd full day. Tank temp is 73-74C. Suppose I'll start seeing wrigglers soon. There are still some whiteys that they haven't cleared away yet. Stupid first-timers! They're still keeping the 3rd angel at bay though.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 27, 2014, 11:22:56 AM
Today's the 3rd full day. Tank temp is 73-74C. Suppose I'll start seeing wrigglers soon. There are still some whiteys that they haven't cleared away yet. Stupid first-timers! They're still keeping the 3rd angel at bay though.

I sure hope that they're not as hot as 73C....nor as cool as 73F......... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on October 27, 2014, 11:30:47 AM
I sure hope that they're not as hot as 73C....nor as cool as 73F......... ;D

OOps! 74F! I'd just been kidding with my wife about them being at about 24C! Musta held onto the C in my brain!

Is 74F too cool for them?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

They can handle it, but upper 70's to 80 deg's is better......the eggs may take a little longer at 74 degs......all my pair tanks are 80-82 degs.........hatching tanks the same.....48 hr, or less, to wigglers...then free swim 4 days or so....
Jon

Ron Sower

Okay. But it looks like most of the eggs have fungus now. Do expect them to survive. Probably a good thing because I have nothing set up to keep them in. But I will remember your advice.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Reading over my last post...shoulda proof read it. It should have been "Don't expect them to survive."

And they didn't. Only a small batch of fungused eggs on the leaf this morning.  So fed the fish and went with a friend to the donut shop and had donuts and coffee to drown and eat away my sorrow! 

Oh....wait a second!  Not any sorrow....I didn't plan for them to survive and hatch.  So I just went and had donuts and coffee!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 28, 2014, 01:09:58 PM
Reading over my last post...shoulda proof read it. It should have been "Don't expect them to survive."

And they didn't. Only a small batch of fungused eggs on the leaf this morning.  So fed the fish and went with a friend to the donut shop and had donuts and coffee to drown and eat away my sorrow! 

Oh....wait a second!  Not any sorrow....I didn't plan for them to survive and hatch.  So I just went and had donuts and coffee!

Bear's claws....are better... ;D
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on October 28, 2014, 01:52:41 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on October 28, 2014, 01:09:58 PM

Bear's claws....are better... ;D
Like them too, but he didn't have any. So I ''settled'' for maple iced French crullers. Not too bad!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Yum yum, French crullers, my all-time favorite, but NO icing please.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 28, 2014, 03:32:34 PM
Yum yum, French crullers, my all-time favorite, but NO icing please.

Dennis

too much air in those things... ;D...give me some good old fried cakes... ;D....or Chocolate Iced Custard Bismarcks.....MMMMmmmmmmm
Jon

Ron Sower

I also like old fashioned cake donuts too.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on October 28, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
too much air in those things...

That's so you can eat the whole dozen.....

Strong cup of black coffee with some fresh crullers, that's good eats!!!

Dennis