• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 563
Total: 563

Maybe....

Started by Ron Sower, April 17, 2014, 10:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...I'll get some angels. I'm slowly changing my ''international'' community tank to a South American (Amazonian) community tank. I've had them several times in the past. I kinda like keeping fish from regions together.  It's just weird for me when I see fish from different continents mixed into one tank. Comes from the biogeography/ecology in my background, I guess. 

I love angels; had a rack of tanks in the past...nothing like the setups some of you have....and I had them spawning and grew them out to trade, sell or give away.  Well, Linda hates it when a pair spawns in a community tank and the rest of the fish are chased the opposite 1/3 of the tank! I think it's kinda cool to see that kind of parenting, myself (More humans should take that kind of care of their kids!). BUT...the tanks are in our den where we spend our down time together for that reason!

So, I'm thinking if I get 2 males and place them together with no female, they should not be that territorial. Am I correct?  Remember, this isn't going to be a spawning operation. 

Or is there another larger type species any of you would have me look at as a possible inhabitant?  There will be some rams, Apistos, dwarf pencils, my lazy non-breeding ABN's,and cories.

Ideas?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Angels will be fine......same sex is a good idea....if the tank is large enough, even two males, being territorial, will find there own space when they need it....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

well you know Ron we do have a few extra males....what are you thinking of getting?  You will need to go with the larger fish as little one's are very secretive as to if they are male or female

Ron Sower

Quote from: P4Angels2 on April 17, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
well you know Ron we do have a few extra males....what are you thinking of getting?  You will need to go with the larger fish as little one's are very secretive as to if they are male or female
:)Thanks. :)  I'll bet you won't get rid of any of your altums!!! I would like to get some silver & black striped veils. Or just the non-veil types.  You guys might have some fancy names for them.  I don't particularly care for Kois though.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

I was the same way about the koi angels until I seen Jons. The koi look great in a heavily planted tank.
Scott

wsantia1

I agree Scott.  Jon has beautiful Koi.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned!   :-[
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 18, 2014, 10:38:37 AM

You got the 'Old' part right......HE HE HE..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I can sympathize with you Ron.  I basically feel the same way, and not just with Angel fish.  Except for some of the livebearers, most of these "man made" variations have been developed during my fish keeping life time.  I prefer the natural fish in every case.

Dennis

Mugwump

...having watched it evolve, I like most all of them....the genes have always been there for the crossing...likely it would have happened in nature eventually anyway.....the old "infinite number of monkeys and typewriters, etc...."
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on April 18, 2014, 12:10:30 PM
I just checked you out, BUD!! you got me by a year! So careful about using that ''Old'' term fellow!  :P
HE HE HE back achya!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 18, 2014, 02:08:10 PM
I can sympathize with you Ron.  I basically feel the same way, and not just with Angel fish.  Except for some of the livebearers, most of these "man made" variations have been developed during my fish keeping life time.  I prefer the natural fish in every case.
Dennis
Yes... so many fish species have been selectively bred for so many different traits.
Quote from: Mugwump on April 18, 2014, 02:34:27 PM
...having watched it evolve, I like most all of them....the genes have always been there for the crossing...likely it would have happened in nature eventually anyway.....the old "infinite number of monkeys and typewriters, etc...."
You are right...the genes are there and they survived the ''un-natural selection'' process...!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

A friend and I (he drove 'cause I can't yet) went up to one of my favorite LFS today. I was meeting a friend who had contacted me right after I started this thread and asked me if I had space for a couple of her ''baby'' angels so she could have room for something else she was getting. A solid black veil and a koi! Well, I thought about it.  I like the solid blacks but wasn't too excited about the koi.  BUT...I did get them from her. I can trade the koi if I really dislike it too much.

So I went on into the LFS and and there were some perfect black and silver veils about silver dollar size. I picked out 3 of them and then learned that they were some of Lori's and Aron's! Shoulda known! They are beautiful! I drip acclimated them for a couple hours, then released them into the tank, added in some Ken's water conditioner with aloe, and all five have settled in nicely. They come right to the front of the tank looking for a handout every time I walk up to it.  God!...It's good to have angels back in the house!

My friend Stan, who drove us up there, and I decided tonight that we can put the koi in the community tank we have set up in the community clubhouse if I decide I don't want it later.

By the way...confession here...I did have koi's in the past that had a lot of gold in them and I was selecting for solid gold offspring!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 19, 2014, 01:06:49 AM
I just checked you out, BUD!! you got me by a year! So careful about using that ''Old'' term fellow!  :P
HE HE HE back achya!

LOL....actually I have (2) years on ya....you just turned 67...I'll be 69 on Tues ;D...but you're still an old fart...LOL....good to hear that you found some healthy stock, enjoy...
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on April 19, 2014, 06:23:49 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 19, 2014, 01:06:49 AM
HE HE HE back achya!
LOL....actually I have (2) years on ya....you just turned 67...I'll be 69 on Tues ;D...but you're still an old fart...LOL....good to hear that you found some healthy stock, enjoy...
You really ARE an old fart!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron