• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 04:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,336
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 557
Total: 558

The relationship of Angelfish eggs and Hard water

Started by Ron Sower, February 05, 2014, 04:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 06, 2014, 03:43:55 PM
RO Right is good for raising gH.  It has none of the carbonates in it so it's doesn't raise kH.  I knew a very highly thought of breeder named Cary Strong who bred in a pH in the 8's.  He didn't even have to age his water because his pH didn't fluctuate after aging.  I can't breed at 7.2.  I have 0 gH and 4.5 kH.

please explain the reason for those readings........a high KH shows calcium and magnesium, but you have no GH reading????.....weird?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on February 06, 2014, 05:41:07 PM
RO Right is good for raising gH.  It has none of the carbonates in it so it's doesn't raise kH.  I knew a very highly thought of breeder named Cary Strong who bred in a pH in the 8's.  He didn't even have to age his water because his pH didn't fluctuate after aging.  I can't breed at 7.2.  I have 0 gH and 4.5 kH.

please explain the reason for those readings........a high KH shows calcium and magnesium, but you have no GH reading????.....weird?

I'm not sure that I understand your question.  KH measures carbonate hardness.  Not all calcium and magnesium are in the form of carbonates.  Carbonates raise kH.  Sulfates do not raise kH.  They are not buffers.  They raise gH.  My water with 0 gH and 4.5 kH has only carbonates.   
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 06, 2014, 06:42:18 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 06, 2014, 05:41:07 PM

I'm not sure that I understand your question.  KH measures carbonate hardness.  Not all calcium and magnesium are in the form of carbonates.  Carbonates raise kH.  Sulfates do not raise kH.  They are not buffers.  They raise gH.  My water with 0 gH and 4.5 kH has only carbonates.   

that answers my question..thanks. ...this is blended water, right?...I can see where with discus you're looking for a desired KH/Gh balance, that keeps a stable PH....but with Discus liking a mid 6 PH for breeding, then do you have to use additives to tweek the KH/GH to bring them in line??
Forgive all the questions  ;D but I'm, always, still learning more too..you seem to have a pretty good handle on the water fix'ns...

With angels a steady PH, with lower/moderate TDS's is the general rule....lower TDS's usually by a R/O blend method naturally dropping the PH too.....as long as it's steady, you're fine, your KH is not an issue..., ..and if your PH bounces, you adjust your R/O blend to adjust it...no additives needed. I've never had to pay any attention to either because our tap/source water is pretty good. I know folks with very hard well water that blend with a moderate PH result and do fine because they're reducing the TDS's too....never had a need to check GH, because it doesn't influence the water's PH stability.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EverythingAquatic

In southern Oregon I have an issue in that my municipal water source changes twice each year.  Most of the year I get spring water which has very low TDS, low buffers, and low pH.  However, during the summer months I get river water, which has higher TDS, much higher pH, and ever high levels of PO4 and iron.  I have to prepare for this change or I end up with dead fish.  A 50% water change wiped out my ram tank that held breeding pairs.  For several years I only test my tap when I expect the water source to change so I can be prepared and not kill off my stock.

I agree with the above in that domesticated angels are far more forgiving with breeding success.  If I am not mistaken Beckie breeds in 7.8 - 8.0 pH water.   Stability is very important in breeding attempts IMO.  Even with my hard water, high PO4 period angels can breed successfully.  I know of a discus breeder in my area who uses our city water and is very successful.  Again, I believe this is a result of domestication.  However, if breeding wild fish it is best to match their natural habitat.

Now the real trick for me will be to see if I can keep my wild crosses during the river water period as they should mature and pair off this summer.