• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 08:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 768
Total: 768

vacuum sealer

Started by LizStreithorst, May 22, 2019, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'd been thinking of buying one of these for a while and finally took the plunge.  It was under $50. with free shipping so I had no excuse not to buy it. 

I often stock up on food to cook when I have spare money.  I make a big pot of whatever that is better after resting than it was freshly made.  I've been storing it in the freezer in freezer containers, but crystals form on the top of the food after it's been in the freezer a while.

I love this damn thing!  It's easy to use and it's kind of fun to watch it suck the air out of the bag.  Everything except maybe fresh veggies can be stored this way.  Today I got in 3 huge bags of flake from my Captain.    I poured it out of the zip lock bags into vacuum saver bags, sucked out all the air and sealed it before I stuck it in the freezer.  My fish food will stay perfectly fresh until the cows come home.

If you don't own one of these gadgets I highly suggest that you buy one.  It will make you happy.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Hey Liz, I've been thinking of getting one. What brand/model do you have?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..indeed they are good at whatever you might grow in your garden....or leftovers....

..yes..what make  & model did you get....?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on May 22, 2019, 03:01:02 PM
..indeed they are good at whatever you might grow in your garden....or leftovers....

After I had it and used it once I thought of all the stuff from the garden.  The fresher the better.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 22, 2019, 04:14:23 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 22, 2019, 03:01:02 PM

After I had it and used it once I thought of all the stuff from the garden.  The fresher the better.

..oh yes..... |^| w!w |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I just discovered a cool thing.  It works on 2 mil and 3 mil fish bags, too.  I certainly would not use it for fish, but I have a ton of fish bags (I buy them by the case).  This means that I can use what I have for vacuum sealing food and avoid having to buy more bags made for vacuum sealers and just use what you have on hand.  A poly bag is a poly bag.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 22, 2019, 06:55:55 PM
I just discovered a cool thing.  It works on 2 mil and 3 mil fish bags, too.  I certainly would not use it for fish, but I have a ton of fish bags (I buy them by the case).  This means that I can use what I have for vacuum sealing food and avoid having to buy more bags made for vacuum sealers and just use what you have on hand.  A poly bag is a poly bag.

....have you tried those bags yet?
Jon

Mugwump

..how the "net" works now days.....

...After looking at Liz's link.....I went and checked the weather....LOL first ad on top of the page.....'Amazon search ad for one of these gizmo's....LOLOLOL.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I sealed the bottoms of the bags but had nothing that needed vacuum packing.  It should certainly work.  The bags that came with the machine are exactly the same as fish bags except fish bags are already sealed in the bottom.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 22, 2019, 07:30:06 PM
I sealed the bottoms of the bags but had nothing that needed vacuum packing.  It should certainly work.  The bags that came with the machine are exactly the same as fish bags except fish bags are already sealed in the bottom.

....cool beans !!!.....I was hoping for that......so many possibilities.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Jon

waterboy

My son has one. Everything you put in the freezer lasts twice as long if it is vacuum sealed.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wsantia1

I'll be ordering one this weekend. I also have plenty of fish bags laying around.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

Hey Liz,

I already have a big sealer (without vacuum) that I use for a variety of things (in addition to fish).
Can the vacuum sealer seal bags without drawing a vacuum?