• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 03:02:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 584
Total: 584

I used to be a Microsoft Fanboy

Started by BallAquatics, December 02, 2016, 05:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Working through some emails, I come across a Microsoft newsletter.  There is actually an article about why you shouldn't customize your system to suit your specific needs.

Sticking with well-known and proven solutions
Aaron Margosis, Principal Consultant, Microsoft Global Cybersecurity

I work with a lot of customers, and there are some problems I see over and over. One problem that I?ve seen too often is the way that many customers paint themselves into a corner through excessive customization of their environment. I regularly make the case that they would be much better off by sticking with defaults or broadly known and well-tested configurations, and with proven enterprise solutions over home-grown tools.

Yada, yada, yada.....

It's rather sad to see how they have fallen since the departure of Bill Gates.  Back in the Gate's days it was all open-ended software specifically suited to extensive customization to suit your specific needs.  MS Office had a lavish API to allow for office automation and customization and they had a wide range of cutting-edge programming languages well suited to building it your way.

Dennis

BallAquatics

You might be a Microsoft fanboy if:

1. You know what the UI on the Windows Phone 7 (pictured above) is named.
2. You know what buildings Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer sat in and what years they did so.
3. If you can describe more than five ways that Bing is better than Google.
Extra credit, if you know that Bing actually stands for "Bing Is Not Google" you might be a fanboy.
4. If you know Larry Hryb, and what he does.
5. If you've ever been to an MVP Summit.
6. If you think that this year's coolest CES Gadget was that Samsung convertible Tablet.
7. If you code in C#.
8. If you have a Master Chief statue in your bedroom.
9. If you were the first on your block (or even in your family) to buy Kinect.
10. If you lived through Microsoft ME and Vista and STILL use Microsoft's OS.

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 02, 2016, 05:25:42 AM
You might be a Microsoft fanboy if:

1. You know what the UI on the Windows Phone 7 (pictured above) is named.
2. You know what buildings Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer sat in and what years they did so.
3. If you can describe more than five ways that Bing is better than Google.
Extra credit, if you know that Bing actually stands for "Bing Is Not Google" you might be a fanboy.
4. If you know Larry Hryb, and what he does.
5. If you've ever been to an MVP Summit.
6. If you think that this year's coolest CES Gadget was that Samsung convertible Tablet.
7. If you code in C#.
8. If you have a Master Chief statue in your bedroom.
9. If you were the first on your block (or even in your family) to buy Kinect.
10. If you lived through Microsoft ME and Vista and STILL use Microsoft's OS.

Dennis

The only one that I'm even close on is #10. I didn't have ME but I did have Vista for about a year and I am still using MS a lot of the time. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.