• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 07:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 535
Total: 535

Spawns===>

Started by Mugwump, August 20, 2013, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Nice, Scott....there will be some nice fry in that one.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 08, 2013, 08:17:14 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 08, 2013, 08:09:08 AM
That looks like about the right mix...I believe it's the ghosts that carry the pb mostly.
I don't see a pic??...did you post one?...if you're having trouble getting the pic up here, let me know, I'll walk you thru it....easy after you do it once... :D

The picture was on the original post. It did not carry over.  I'll have to find it.  It is the ghost with the pb and this my ghost pair from that mana x spawn.

Well today was moving day for this spawn.  I put them in a 29G for a couple of weeks.  I counted a total of 217.  That is quite a bit more than I expected since there were a lot of unfertilized eggs in this spawn.  Oh well, I won't be pulling anything for a while. :o
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Very nice, now starts the real fun  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Eggs being laid as I type.  I'm so excited.  I knew that it would happen by the way the female was acting.  The male of the pair (the NADA 1st place winner) spends half his life staring at the cone.  When the female of the pair (a home bred BD) starts fiirting, eggs are the result.   
Please hope that nothing goes wrong with this spawn.  I want fry from this male with all my heart.

I decided the day before yesterday that I would put this pair back in the community tank because nothing kept happening for the longest time.  Then this morning, I could see the female showing affection to the male.  He pecked on the cone hard, but was very slow and gentle with his lady. 

It can be fun watching Discus pair up and seeing how they breed.  The pairing up is always the same.  The two start hanging out together.  The breeding behavior is different with different pairs 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

It makes your day, doesn't it?  ;D I like watching the courtships too. Each pair brings a uniqueness to the relationship ritual. 
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have little hope now of this spawn working out, but I will pray for a miracle.  The female has but down a huge batch of eggs.  The male is affectionate to her but is just sitting back watching with his breeding tube nowhere in sight.  Barring divine intervention my fish will break my heart once again.

Mugwump

Well, good luck...perhaps he'll get prodded by the female to join in...?
Jon

LizStreithorst

No.  He showed no interest and the female is now eating the eggs.  The pair will go into a community tank and I'll let them try again one day. 

I have have plans up my sleeve for my Cuipeau pair.  I want them to grow more before I let them raise any more fry.  I will provide them with a love nest and if they spawn, try fostering the eggs out to a pair that I know has the desire for fry.  It will be my first go at fostering fry.

wsantia1

Congrats! Best of luck with that spawn.  ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Well, well, well...The Cuipeau's I put in the breeding are spwawning.  The pair I want to foster the eggs to have eggs in the community tank.  What luck!  I will swap the pairs after the Cuipeau's  are done with their fun.  It will be cool watching what happens.

Mugwump

It'd be great if you can come up with a good foster pair....good luck  ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'd let the cuipeau raise their own, but I want them to grow more first.  I've never fostered before so it will be fun to see what happens.

b125killer

Good luck with them. I hope it works out for you.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  So far the foster pair is guarding them.  I'll keep y'all updated.

LizStreithorst

The fosters are still caring for the eggs.  I can see eye spots in them.  Next step will be to see if they eat them when they start to wiggle (probably day after tomorrow).  The big hurtle comes when the babies free swim.