• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 627
Total: 627

An orphan raised with...

Started by Mugwump, December 14, 2013, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

......a 50 gal with some PB fry...... ;D..growing nicely too.. ;D

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 14, 2013, 04:37:42 PM
Nice fish, Mug.

Thanks Liz....she was really tiny, and the only one in the bag ...Frank walks up to our table and says, 'you want him'...me..'you betcha!!'....LOL  After he settled in a bit, I moved him in with 'blue crew' ;D
A poor little Albino HB, in another bag, wasn't so fortunate....he got a bad chill from Frank's basement floor....he tried to....but, alas, then stopped eating
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I've seen Franks Avatar on TAF.  He has beautiful HBs.  He has advised me with mine, too.  Nice man.

ilroost

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 14, 2013, 04:51:49 PM
I've seen Franks Avatar on TAF.  He has beautiful HBs.  He has advised me with mine, too.  Nice man.

The HE breeders, that I grew out from nickels, carry a HB and a PB, amongst other genes...I'm pairing up a couple now..perhaps one of their HB fry will be this little gal's mate??? ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know I'm thick.  You've told me this before and I've forgotten.  What does PB stand for in Angels?  It stands for Pigeon Blood in Discus.

In first the cross I made between a Zebra mutt and a pure bred HB, out of easily 500 fry I got 1 that was about 1/3 black and 1 that had just a black tail.  They were male and female, I bred them together and after a lot of crossing sib to sib I was getting over 1/3 HBs.  Then I bred to a male from the same line that did not express as HB but was a pearl scale.  The result of that cross  was a small spawn that produced the fish I'm working with now.

I just kind of stumbled along selecting what rang my bell.  At that time I was so into Discus that I didn't fret over what I got from the Angels.  I was just passing time and filling empty tanks with them until the Discus got going.  I never would have done it if the  Discus had got to doing right.  Funny how things work out.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Oh, yeah!  David talked about crossing his PBs with his HB but he was about to call it quits because so few expressed.  Keep me up to date on the project, Mug.  I'm really interested.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 14, 2013, 06:32:11 PM
Oh, yeah!  David talked about crossing his PBs with his HB but he was about to call it quits because so few expressed.  Keep me up to date on the project, Mug.  I'm really interested.

Sure will....Frank has the PB/HB about down, now...he's getting some wonderful results. ;D
I remember David getting discouraged...lots of folks have. Frank took a little different approach, and boomba ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'm so happy for him.  He's smart and giving.  That makes for a pretty good human being, IMO. 

b125killer

I have seen some of Franks PB/HB as small dime size and already expressing. they are really nice. By the way where has Frank been hiding? I'm sorry that you lost the albino HB Jon. it was a pretty little thing.   
Scott